How To Get Details On Nordicware Train Pan Cake?

Decorating By erincc Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 8:26pm by erincc

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #1 of 6

I'm using this train cake pan to make my DS's birthday cake:
http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/40FB5374-FAEF-102A-A134-00137233C6B0
[/url][url]

Trouble is, the pan is SO detailed, I obviously can't frost it with BC. Should I use a poured ganache or icing? Leave it plain and just pipe the details? WDYT? A plain cake sounds to me like it won't taste as yummy.... icon_wink.gif and I have to eat this one! [/url]

5 replies
erincc Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 6

Anybody???

kc03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kc03 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6
BrindysBackyard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrindysBackyard Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 6

check out this cake, she uses the pan to "mold" the fondant to capture the detail and then applies it to the cake. i have seen her tutorial and it is well detailed and very helpful. i could not find the link, but she said she will send it to you if you pm her.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1290081

HTH good luck!

smokwa64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokwa64 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with kc03 - just adding piped details and candies would look really cute. If you're afraid there won't be much flavor to the cake without ganache or frosting, you can always have a bit of ganache handy, and when you cut and serve the cake, you can drizzle it over each piece. So they get a bit of extra sweetness with the serving. icon_smile.gif

erincc Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 6

A nice ganache on the side sounds like a good idea, especially if I do a butter pound cake for the cake. that fondant technique sounds really cool, but not sure if I want to tackle that much work for such a small party (I also didn't mention I'm 8 months pregnant, lol!). Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%