Flower Drying Rack

Decorating By Smashme Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 8:45pm by bobwonderbuns

Smashme Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 21

ok, my sweet brother says he will make me a flower drying rack if i can find him a picture of what i want. i think i saw one like i want on cake boss, but not reall sure where it was. it was a big rectangle, with lots of wires for hanging flowers (almost like a cooling rack you would rest a cake or cookies on, but on long legs) so does anyone have a picture they can share

20 replies
WykdGud Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:18am
post #2 of 21

Want to know what I use? A window screen.

I bought a replacement screen (it's framed in wood) at Walmart for like 3 bucks and it's the same width as my bun rack (and it's adjustable and I open it a little so it's the same size as a full size pan) so I can hang it inside there. The wires poke right through the holes and they don't move around as much or get knocked off when the openings the flowers are hanging through are wide.

WykdGud Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 21

Oh, it's also good for drying flat things on because air circulates underneath it and promotes even drying.

Smashme Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 21

i guess i'm a big dork here, i'm just not picturing it. like the mesh stuff thats on a window?

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:37am
post #5 of 21

There's a think like what you are describing that is used in high school lockers -- it has "legs" and a grate -- I've seen lots of cakers use that in gumpaste classes. I don't know what it's called though.

WykdGud Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:43am
post #6 of 21

Yes, it's an adjustable framed window screen. The screen itself isn't the kind that's like material though, it's a sturdier wire screen.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:51am
post #7 of 21

Oh, this thing wasn't adjustable. It was the width and depth of a high school locker and had "legs" on it -- presumably for putting shoes underneath and books on top.

sugarflour2 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 3:36am
post #8 of 21

You can get the wire rack that Buddy uses at Staples for $11 or $12. They come in a very small size and the size that buddy uses. I think the intended use of the rack is some kind of desk organizer because it's in that section of the store. I use that for drying flowers and it's great because you can dry lots of flowers at once.

Elcee Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:01am
post #9 of 21

You can get a rack meant to organize cabinets, too. I got this one for about $5 at Walmart; it's legs fold up for easy storage. You can kind of see mine in these pictures. I use it both to hang flowers upside down or to nest in the grid. For long flowers I put it on flipped plates or cake pans.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32898&id=100001542403642&l=8514edff0d

Smashme Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:13am
post #10 of 21

Thanks everyone, now i don't have to wait for my brother. Edna's dvd's should be here next week, so i can play sooner, i won't see my brother till the end of next month.

Smashme Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:38am
post #11 of 21

ok, i've gone on the staples site and i can't find it, anyone have better luck

Sorelle Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:21am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

Want to know what I use? A window screen.

I bought a replacement screen (it's framed in wood) at Walmart for like 3 bucks and it's the same width as my bun rack (and it's adjustable and I open it a little so it's the same size as a full size pan) so I can hang it inside there. The wires poke right through the holes and they don't move around as much or get knocked off when the openings the flowers are hanging through are wide.



Great idea! I've been using the hanging lamp over my kitchen table! Upgrade!

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

You can get a rack meant to organize cabinets, too. I got this one for about $5 at Walmart; it's legs fold up for easy storage. You can kind of see mine in these pictures. I use it both to hang flowers upside down or to nest in the grid. For long flowers I put it on flipped plates or cake pans.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32898&id=100001542403642&l=8514edff0d




Yes!! The one the gals used in class looked just like that and they said it was for school lockers. Would you mind telling us what section of Walmart has this?

Elcee Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Yes!! The one the gals used in class looked just like that and they said it was for school lockers. Would you mind telling us what section of Walmart has this?




It was definitely in housewares, either near the shelf paper or where they have stuff like flatware organizers for the drawers. I'm almost sure it wasn't seasonal with the back-to-school items. I have to go for groceries sometime this weekend (ugh) so I'll look and update this post.

srkmilklady Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Yes!! The one the gals used in class looked just like that and they said it was for school lockers. Would you mind telling us what section of Walmart has this?



It was definitely in housewares, either near the shelf paper or where they have stuff like flatware organizers for the drawers. I'm almost sure it wasn't seasonal with the back-to-school items. I have to go for groceries sometime this weekend (ugh) so I'll look and update this post.




Yes, that's what I use too. I've tried different things like everyone else, but found this to be the best. And it is in the housewares with the kitchen "organizing" things. They have different shapes and sizes, but I found this to work the best. thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #16 of 21

Do you think Meijer or Target would have something similar?

Elcee Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:58am
post #17 of 21

We don't have Meijer's here but I would bet that Target has something. Still haven't made it to Walmart yet...I've been procrastinating icon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:11am
post #18 of 21

I use the one like Elcee. love it

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:44am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

You can get a rack meant to organize cabinets, too. I got this one for about $5 at Walmart; it's legs fold up for easy storage. You can kind of see mine in these pictures. I use it both to hang flowers upside down or to nest in the grid. For long flowers I put it on flipped plates or cake pans.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32898&id=100001542403642&l=8514edff0d




By the way, I forgot to mention -- your flowers are AMAZING!!! Fabulous, gorgeous and amazing!!! thumbs_up.gif

Elcee Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 3:17am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

By the way, I forgot to mention -- your flowers are AMAZING!!! Fabulous, gorgeous and amazing!!! thumbs_up.gif




Wow, thanks! You made my day! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:45pm
post #21 of 21

Well I found the "flower rack" at Meijers -- in the housewares (where you get stuff for cabinets). It's called the "long wire stacking shelf" (I got the long one -- they had a medium and a smaller size as well.) It cost about $5. Thanks for the great idea! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%