Motivation????

Decorating By keriofcakes Updated 12 Mar 2011 , 9:29pm by SophisticatedSweets

keriofcakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hi gals and guys you are all so wonderful at giving support for one another!!

Goodness I've had this gorgeous baby shower cake order that I have been looking forward to for over a month. The cake is due on Saturday and the excitement has died down and I'm actually dreading doing this cake.

I feel without the passion I won't be able to do a fabulous job... icon_sad.gif

Soooo what do you guys do to get yourselfs out of the "funk" or get yourself amped up for cake decorating??

7 replies
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 8

Its due Saturday, as in tomorrow? icon_eek.gif

If so, I'm not sure I can offer "emergency de-funking" advice icon_lol.gif but for future reference, I try to get the bulk of the mess-work out of the way.

- cake(s) baked and in the freezer.
- icing made and stored
- any decors/flowers made, air-dried, and ready to put on the cake.

Then, when ready to do the cake, pull the cakes out of the freezer (they'll thaw in 30 minutes, tops), grab the icing, the flowers and just do the assembly.

Quick, simple, easy and hardly any mess to clean up!

julesh268 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:00am
post #3 of 8

I have found that some of the cakes that I dread working on the most I end up being the happiest with. Just take a deep breath and dive in. You might be surprised that the fun comes back!

keriofcakes Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:50am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the advice! I've always be curious as to how fellow cake bakers stay on track and focused.

Work and school and children got the best of me since I usually have cakes planned out to a T (including a timeline icon_razz.gif ). But lesson learned and ready to roll up my sleeves and get dirty (though this will be an all nighter).

SophisticatedSweets Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:14am
post #5 of 8

I get this way, too. I took a last minute 4-tier wedding plus grooms cake for today, a 3-tier hello kitty cake for tomorrow and a baby shower cake for Sunday. I was so excited to do them all, but now? I have a case of the don't wannas. Was up at 7am this morning to start the wedding/grooms cake. I baked, decorated, assembled, etc all day and just started tomorrow's Hello Kitty, which has to be delivered at 10am, a few hours ago. Waiting on the cakes to cool so I can get to work on doing everything else. Now that I am tired I am pouting and asking myself wth do I do this anyways! *lol*

I'll think of you while drinking my late night latte, too!! Good luck with the cake!

carmijok Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:52am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophisticatedSweets

I get this way, too. I took a last minute 4-tier wedding plus grooms cake for today, a 3-tier hello kitty cake for tomorrow and a baby shower cake for Sunday. I was so excited to do them all, but now? I have a case of the don't wannas. Was up at 7am this morning to start the wedding/grooms cake. I baked, decorated, assembled, etc all day and just started tomorrow's Hello Kitty, which has to be delivered at 10am, a few hours ago. Waiting on the cakes to cool so I can get to work on doing everything else. Now that I am tired I am pouting and asking myself wth do I do this anyways! *lol*

A 4-tier wedding cake PLUS a grooms cake and you just took the order? I hope you're getting paid well. I can't imagine a bride waiting so late and wanting so much. Plus all the other cakes? Way too much for this one person I can tell you!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 6:52am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophisticatedSweets

A 4-tier wedding cake PLUS a grooms cake and you just took the order? I hope you're getting paid well. I can't imagine a bride waiting so late and wanting so much. Plus all the other cakes? Way too much for this one person I can tell you!

Wow...I agree! There's NO WAY I would be able to accomplish that.

SophisticatedSweets Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 8

She decided to elope and wanted a simple cake...but then she saw the 4-tiers. Overall, it was a really, really simple cake. Just smooth buttercream with wrap around ribbons and one bow. I made some edible gems to match her "bling" theme and that was it. It took longer to bake it all then it did to decorate it. I love wedding cakes, but they really are not my strong point. If she wanted complex, there was no way I could have done it.

I do, however, think she is going to have a LOT of cake left over. She didn't think she was going to have more than 50 people show to their party.

And I have had moments of "I bit off waaaay more than I can chew." icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%