Curly Ribbon

Decorating By believer Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 3:22am by kathie-d

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 10

I would like to cake the attached cake with buttercream icing. How can I do this without the grease changing the ribbon. How do I attached the ribbon if I use buttercream. I have not done alot of fondant covering of cakes. Also do you think the hearts are fondant or paper attached to the ribbon?

Thanks,

9 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 10

Hmmmm. Your photo didn't attach. Could you try it again?

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 10

The attachment didn't go through....

believer Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 10

Sorry, hope it work this time!

believer Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 10

okay what am i doing wrong?

kathie-d Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 10

If it's from a webpage just copy and paste the address to your post.

believer Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 10

http://www.wedding-flowers-and-reception-ideas.com/unique-wedding-cake.html

Thanks Kathie! How do I attached the ribbons. I am using buttercream. Will the ribbon change color due to the grease.

Thanks!

kathie-d Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:56am
post #8 of 10

I am presuming you are talking about the one with Minnie and Mickey on the top....from what I am reading the ribbon on that cake is made from sugar...are you planning to do it with just regular ribbon?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:42am
post #9 of 10

I think the comment about the spun sugar ribbons is actually for the next cake down. I'd think seriously about covering the cakes in fondant and gluing the ribbons on with royal icing. I'd be afraid the curly ribbon would absorb grease from the buttercream where it was attached. There's a way to avoid this with regular ribbon, which is to iron the ribbon between two sheets of waxed paper so that it has already absorbed the wax before you put it on the cake, but I think that would destroy the "curly" property of the curly ribbon and besides, there's just SO MUCH ribbon on that cake it would take you years! Really cute cake, though.

kathie-d Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:22am
post #10 of 10

Marianna, now that I go back and look, you are absolutely right. I would definitely go with the fondant/ royal icing....even if your fondant work isn't great you won't see it anyway because of all the ribbon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%