Make An Imbc That's Not Yellow???

Baking By bakingintheburg Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 3:15pm by Baker_Rose

bakingintheburg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingintheburg Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 5

I want to try to make some IMBC but I'm a little unsure about how the color is going to turn out. I don't have any of that 'white-white' icing tint and no way to get any around here in the next couple of days. Soooo.....

I'm just curious, using organic butter (which naturally tends to be more yellow), how yellow is my icing going to be? It doesn't have to be perfectly pure, bright white, I'd just like it to not be an obvious 'light yellow,' KWIM? Would it be okay to use a little shortening in place of the butter, like maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of the total fat being shortening? Or is that even necessary? Maybe it won't turn out as yellow as I'd think, IDK. On cakes w/IMBC, they look fairly white, but maybe they were tinted? In some of the demo videos I've seen, the finished IMBC straight out of the mixer looks pretty yellow.

What to do, what to do?

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 5

Our farmers market hand churned butter is almost white. I can't help you on the color as my IMBC has vanilla bean specs and butter. But I never really noticed the icing as being something other than white. I use Land O Lakes. It is very white compared to my french buttercream made with yolks.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 5

I just use regular butter and it always turns out pretty white...maybe a slightly cream color, but not yellow.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 5

Add a touch of Wilton violet gel paste. It cancels out the yellow tint, don't go overboard, best to add it bit by bit.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, you can replace up to 50% of the butter with shortening by weight. I do it all the time in the heat of the summer. Emulsified shortening if you can get it, but regular will work. I will help with the stability in the summer and it will lighten the color. Mine has never been yellow, but it isn't snow white.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%