Buttercream Decorating (Piping)

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm by indydebi

kristiemarie Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 7

I bit the bullet and decided last night that it was time I at least attempted piping. I got out the (store bought) frosting and got all my stuff together; my tips, bags, practice board, book.

And I started doing designs. Boarders mostly, and some writing. And really, I was pretty surprised and how well I did. It wasn't put it on cake good yet. But for the first time (ever) out, I did pretty well. icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't attempt roses or anything because the frosting I used was way to soft but I will. icon_smile.gif

Just one more thing to work at and hopefully, master some day. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Cupcations Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 7

Same thing happened to me, out of the blues I wanted to "try" it & indeed I surprised myself too now I'm glad I gave it a shot obviously I had a hidden talent icon_biggrin.gif, plus practice makes perfect
Good luck with your caking journey thumbs_up.gif

Cupcations Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 7

Just took a look at your photos, your cakes are pretty and very creative, I'm sure you will be just as good with buttercream icon_smile.gif

maitej17 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 7

I'm so glad you found your comfort level w/buttercream! That's all it takes a little bit of practice and the courage to try.
I'm sure your cakes will look beautiful with your new "piping" skills! icon_biggrin.gif

kristiemarie Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 7

I have to admit, i was one of those people who thought buttercream was easy. I'd see it in the stores and be like, oh that looks just plain and frumpy. I didn't give it a second thought....until I started working with cakes and came here and saw what you all can do with buttercream! I realized then and there that it takes a lot of skill to do some of the things people do with frosting.

And i really believe now that if you are going to choose a craft, you should learn (even if you don't like) everything about it. Part of cake decorating is buttercream deco.

And Thanks Cupcations. "icon_smile.gif

I am a beginner, just doing cakes for fun and I love it! I am in no way close to where many of you are but I'm gonna keep on trucking because practice makes perfect!

sugalips Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 7

I, too, am a hobby beginner and like working with fondant (sometimes icon_confused.gif )but buttercream is soooooo delicious! I am still attempting the Lambeth style. Old school, but amazing!!!

indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 7

See, I was the opposite. Having learned BC from the beginning (back in the day when you had to do BC and you had to teach yourself from pictures in a book or you just didn't do cakes), I was scared about jumping into fondant. I read and read and read every thread on here about fondant and was still too nervous to try it.

Then I was accidentally forced into doing a 3-tier fondant at the last minute for a friend whose baker quit on him 6 days before a wedding. icon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

After working with fondant for just a couple of cakes, I'm thinking, "Wow! People actually charge extra for this???? COOL!!!!!!" icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I couldn't believe how fast and easy it was.

So if I can do it, anyone can! thumbs_up.gif Jump in and experience the whole cake process and have a great time mastering it all! Each new thing you learn just makes you appreciate all the talents involved in making a cake, no matter what the medium! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%