Question About Stabilized Whipping Cream

Decorating By NanaSandy Updated 12 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm by NanaSandy

NanaSandy Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:13am
post #1 of 8

I am wondering if anybody here has used the recipe marked: Amazing Stabilized Whipping Cream int the recipe section here on CC?
If so, can you frost and leave your cake setting out without refrigeration with this recipe??

I have somebody that wants a frosting that isn't as sweet as butter cream and thought I would try this.??
The part that bothers me about this recipe is there is only 5 tbsp of PS? Is that enough sugar to maintain the whipping cream to be able to sit out? Does that make sense?

If you haven't used this, I am open to any other suggestions on what I could use?
Thanks in advance!!

7 replies
Crazboutcakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:39am
post #2 of 8

I have used this recipe and it is fantastic as far as the taste and how it sets. I made one for a baby shower, that the mom picked up 3 hours before the event . I can only assume at a shower the cake sits out for awhile before serving,everone loved the cake, never got any complants that it didn't hold up kept it's shape and everything. HTH a little.

JanH Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 8:13am
post #3 of 8

This recipe is not shelf stable because the amount of ps used is too tiny (to control the water activity in the whipping cream), so it does require refrigeration.

I would recommend Rich's Bettercreme for a whipped topping/filling that is shelf stable:

NanaSandy Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 8

thank you both!!

CakeandDazzle Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 8

NanaSandy Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 3:14am
post #6 of 8

can SMBC be left out of the fridge? If so, can you direct me to a good recipe? I have seen several, but never tried any.

CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 7:34am
post #7 of 8

There are many controversies about SMBC & the fridge. I leave it out for a max of 3 days, never had any problems, because I was told many MANY times it was safe out for 3 days.
I do 10 egg whites, 3.5 c sugar & 7 stick UNsalted butter... maybe a tbls + 1/2 tbls flavor (almond & vanilla) but here is a good recipe too... cakecentral has a ton of good tips as well for making it! HTH

NanaSandy Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 8

thank you cakeanddazzle! I will give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%