After 8 Years - Cakes Start Sticking

Decorating By tryingcake Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm by txpeggyl

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:12am
post #1 of 13

OMG! Every single cake I have backed today (8 layers total) has stuck to the pan. This has not happened since before I started taking lessons and maybe years before that!

I swear it has to be the PAM Spray. I always use a super cheap store brand (Stater Bros to be exact). My cakes never ever stick - fall right out... easy peasy.

Pam was on sale for the same price so I thought I would treat myself to the "better" brand.

UGH!!!!!! and I don't mean a little tiny sticking, a mean big huge holes that have to be severely mended.

Here is a corner of one of the sheets (I made 4 sheets and 4 rounds).

https://picasaweb.google.com/101077004240505380978/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCK2WqNLL25b8Wg#5582609291984910258

I know it's the PAM. Nothing else is different.

Moral of the story:

Stick to what you know works. Don't be fooled by "the better stuff!"

12 replies
MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:17am
post #2 of 13

Sounds like you're having a rough day........sorry. icon_sad.gif

Personally, I've never had much luck with sprays of any sort for cakes.

I make my own pan grease. Equal parts shortening, oil and flour. Mix it together and brush it in your pans with a pastry brush. I brush the sides and about an inch in on the bottoms and then line the bottom with parchment paper.

tryingcake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 13

Yeah, I used to do that but honestly don't see any difference between the two (until today) and spraying is faster, easier. LOL.....

I really think it's the brand. Next time I bake I'm using what I've always used and I'll save the PAM for regular cooking.

tryingcake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:29am
post #4 of 13

Duplicate

tryingcake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Moral of the story:

Stick to what you know works. Don't be fooled by "the better stuff!"

LOL - I just realized what I wrote....

No pun intended....

icon_razz.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:33am
post #6 of 13

I spray the inside of my pans with cooking oil spray then always line it with baking paper.. it makes for a good clean crisp finish with no loose crumbs.

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:37am
post #7 of 13

This is only a theory, so I could be wrong. But there is an ingredient in your non stick sprays called soy lecithin that is pretty sticky and if it doesn't burn off, build up as this sticky gunk on your non stick pans....not your normal pans though (or at least that I know of).

If this is the case, the corners could have gotten a good dose of the spray if it pooled there and over time the residue just built up.

From what I read, it's best to use MissLisa's mixture. I'm going to start doing this as I'm noticing this gunk on my pans.

I also read that Baker's Joy or things like it containing flour are okay because of the fact that they contain flour....I didn't read that far into it to know why though...

I have a tendency to over think things, so I could just be off on a tangent. I apologize if I am. icon_redface.gif

tryingcake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:43am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecupcake

I spray the inside of my pans with cooking oil spray then always line it with baking paper.. it makes for a good clean crisp finish with no loose crumbs.

My bottoms were lined, I spray the sides and just a hint of the bottoms to make sure I get all corners.

Like I said, it was just today. Not an on-going issue. Gosh, I hope not!!!

I'm just griping more than anything... to people who will understand.

People who don't bake say, "Oh, it's OK."

icon_rolleyes.gif

klutzy_baker - I'm an over thinker - no worries...

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:14am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecupcake

My bottoms were lined, I spray the sides and just a hint of the bottoms to make sure I get all corners.

Like I said, it was just today. Not an on-going issue. Gosh, I hope not!!!

I'm just griping more than anything... to people who will understand.

People who don't bake say, "Oh, it's OK."

icon_rolleyes.gif

klutzy_baker - I'm an over thinker - no worries...

Thank you icon_smile.gif

I am sorry about your cake. Here's to a better tomorrow!! icon_wink.gif

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:20am
post #10 of 13

I always use either Bakers Joy or the Wilton cake release. I prefer cake release because I like the texture of my cakes better....the Baker's Joy leaves lots of crumbs. Plus I have a tendency to overspray because I fear sticking. I do have one 8" pan that I can not use the cake release with, though. Every single time I use it, it sticks! But if I use the Bakers Joy in that pan, it doesn't. Hmmm!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:43am
post #11 of 13

What type of pam were you using. If it's not the kind with flour in it ... It's pretty much a crap shoot. I also use the cake release .... I have 3 large cans of Pam in my cabinet that I don't use ... When I was growing up that was all I used...but for the last year & 1/2 I don't use it anymore because 8 out of 10 times whatever I use it for will stick to the pan... Cakes, cornbread, eggs...etc everything... If your other brand worked for you I would go back to using it...Pam just ain't what it used to be

tryingcake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:48am
post #12 of 13

It was just plain Butter flavored PAM. I've always used Store Brand - never ever sticks. Literally falls right out of the pan, every - single - time.

I'm convinced it was the PAM. I have a hard time believing that all my pans went bad in one day and that all in one day all sprays stopped working. It has to be the brand.

I don't have another cake to bake for a couple of weeks. But I feel strongly, going back to my old standard, I will not have these issues.

Thanks, everyone, for letting me cry the blues here.

txpeggyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txpeggyl Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 13

cakeflake80...I loved the Wilton cake release, just not the price...so started using the aforementioned mixture of oil crisco and flour in equal parts - it works just the same as the cake release and is wayyyy cheaper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%