Has Anyone Made "cake Shots"?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm by Chef_Stef

Chef_Stef Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 11

and if so...how? and what on earth to charge? I'm not positive I know what they'd be, except a bride is offering to provide the shot glasses.

10 replies
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:26am
post #2 of 11

I have never made them, but I ate a bite of one a week or so ago. I would NOT bake the cake in the shot glass, it was so dry and gross. I would bake the cake and then cut it and put it in them.

dawncr Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:30am
post #3 of 11

Here are some photos on flickr from a caterer who does a lot of these. (You may have to search her photo stream for 'shots'):

Also, I'm embarrassed to admit my stupidity, but do cake shots have some sort of liqueur in them? Or, are they just regular cake and frosting/filling?

I mean, jello shots are more than just jello in a shot glass-- they've got alcohol.

Anyone know?

Chonte Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:45am
post #4 of 11

not they don't necessarily have alcohol in them, it's just a shot of cake!

cookiemama2 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:11am
post #5 of 11

I made them at Christmas. I saw them in a local newspaper that a resteraunt was making them , they called them tasting shots. Instead of a larger dessert they offer a few to "taste".
I made a spiced mousse ( I think it was called ) and layered them with chocolate brownie, mousse,caramel.
Another was banana, white cake, caramel, maybe some nuts.
And then a pina colada...white cake with pinapple the same mousse and coconut.
And the last was brownie with berries and the mousse.
I baked my cake separate and just layered it in.
I used plastic wine glasses.
I forgot to take a picture but my brother in law took one with his phone and sent it to me but I can't get it to load here. Any hints/suggestions!!!
You could add alcohol but I didn't.

cakesherry Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:18am
post #6 of 11

I did this for a bridal shower - traditional tiramisu (Tyler Florence's recipe) with disposable shot glasses and mini spoons from Webstaurant.com

It was so easy, elegant and everyone went crazy over them. I'm making them again next month.

BTW, that Flickr link is amazing. What talent!

sherrywarf Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:19am
post #7 of 11

They were offered here at Ruby Tuesday's for a little while. The were also called Cake Shots and came in 3 different flavors. They charged $2.00 per glass. HTH!

Stephy42088 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:47am
post #8 of 11

I do them and call them dessert shot glasses. I only offer them in real glass shot glasses right now and charge $2 each to rent them or $3 each if you want to keep the shot glasses (like if its a gift or something). It seems like people really like them

MadMillie Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 11

I read this post yesterday. It really sparked an interest, especially after looking at the pictures of how elegant they can look. I found a little info. on making them on ehow, under desert shooters. I guess I will be experimenting.

Marianna46 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 11

Say no more! I'm off to buy a case of shot glasses! This is it for my next party.

Chef_Stef Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 11

I'm back...long week!
Thanks everyone! I will probably charge $2 and get her the quote tomorrow. She needs 200 of the...

Quote by @%username% on %date%