First Wedding Cake Tasting - Where Do I Begin??

Decorating By lynmn2 Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 7:22pm by Ali3971

lynmn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynmn2 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 5

This Sunday is my first every wedding cake tasting for my very new business and I'm pretty nervous. The bride has asked for three flavors to taste as she wants 3 tiers with a different flavor for each.

Traditionally (from research), I've seen platters of different cakes, scoops of fillings and dallops of frostings. For my tasting I'm thinking about making 3 6 inch rounds of each flavor they want (vanilla, chocolate and carrot).

Because I dont have a store front, they will be coming to my home to do the tasting (is that kosher?).

Also, is there anything else I should be prepared for? I only have one other wedding cake I've done (for family) and two others for my portfolio. I'm wondering if I should know about other costs to tell them and how much?

Stand rental? delivery? Setup fee? additional decorations and charges?

Any other suggestions? I read an article about having the client taste the lightest cake to the heaviest. Anything at this point would help. I want to be as professional as possible and be very prepared but right now I don't know where to start!!

4 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 5

depending on how many people plan on coming, it sounds like that is plenty of cake!!! I will usually put samples of cake in the middle and they can take a filling if they want to, to add to their plate... that is IF I have filling at that time. Also, any left over batter, I always freeze. This way I don't have any waste and can bake more samples when needed.

As far as in your house goes, if that is something you feel comfortable with and your clientel is okay with, then I don't see a problem!! It is what works best for you and your situation......

Ali3971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali3971 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 5

I do my cake tasting with cupcakes becase it so much easier and you can freeze the leftover cupcakes rather than throwing the scraps away. I usually charge $25 for my stand rental, $50 for delivery and set up and that includes 10 miles anything more is .45 cents a mile if local. All my wedding cakes are delivered by myself and set up so they have to pay for delivery/set-up because I guarantee my cakes to the table. It is the brides responsibility to provide a safe table for the cake. Also take a picture after you get your cake set up at the venue that includes the background in the picture so if they move the cake and it crashes to the floor you have proof that the cake was moved because it doesnt match the picture (I learned that from a CC member). I charge by the flower if they want sugar flowers and same if they want to add a bow or ribbon those are extra's.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 5

Are you charging for your tasting? 36 servings of cake is alot of free cake for a *tasting*. They really only need a bite or two of each flavor.

Ali3971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali3971 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with TexasSugar I charge 30$ for a tasting and that is for cupcakes not cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%