Quick Question From A Newbie!

Decorating By DessertDiva82 Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 8:58pm by DessertDiva82

DessertDiva82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDiva82 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 14

I have been drooling over the list of gourmet cakes that y'all have compiled and I wondered what pans are used. I ask because I noticed that some recipes call for two boxes of cake mix, which I thought would create more than a 9x13 or a couple of rounds. The Cinnamon Roll and Peaches N Cream are screaming for me to try them!!!

13 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 14

The type of pans used are dependent on the design of the cakes. Most recipes will or should have the amount of batter it makes.

For ex. The White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe uses 2 boxes of cake mix along with other ingrediants. It makes a LOT! lol Just this past weekend, I made 2-8" rounds, 2-6" rounds and a little batter left over for a loaf pan (think meatloaf size pan.) Box mixes - alone - will yield approx 4 cups of batter.

HTH!!

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 14

Yeah, the gourmet WASC cakes will make a ton if you make the full batch. I usually end up halving the recipe for the little cakes I do - usually 1/2 a recipe will fill (3) 6" rounds.

DessertDiva82 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 14

Wow. That is a LOT of batter. I am glad that I asked! This would be perfect though for when I need to make a cake to feed a crowd. Otherwise, I could just do as fruitsnack suggested and half it.

KASCARLETT Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 14

When I have a lot of cakes to make, this one is great because I can make them all at one time! lol

DessertDiva82 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 14

That is very true icon_biggrin.gif I am SO glad that I stumbled onto this website from visiting Wilton's forums. I just joined today, and already it has been so helpful.

DessertDiva82 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 14

The only thing I can't get is how to get the avatar loaded. I see where you can delete your current image, but I didn't see how to upload one and use it in your profile.

KASCARLETT Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 14

there should be a "browse" button next to the current image. see if that will let you bring it up. make sure it is resized small!

KASCARLETT Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 14

Never mind! It used to be there, but now it's gone!

DessertDiva82 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 14

See, that's what I was looking for and it wasn't there. I thought I might be missing something.

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 14

I think there's an issue with the forum - I don't think we've been able to upload avatars for a while.

DessertDiva82 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 14

Oh...I see. Oh man. I hope they fix it soon.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 14

Welcome,

I'm glad your out of the Wilton forums (not so helpful) and ended up here...Cake Central rocks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

DessertDiva82 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you!!! Yes I am seeing that icon_smile.gif I am not a professional by any means, but I would like to learn from others and get better. If I had time, I would go to culinary arts college just to enrich myself...not to have a career in the field. I love to bake, and I want to get better and better icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%