Cake Contests Questions

Decorating By robinmarie Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 9:19pm by sillywabbitz

robinmarie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hello All!

I am entering my first cake contest at the end of April. I was reading over the "hints and tips" paragraph and it states "all competion pieces are intended to be edible, except for the dummies....many of the petal/luster dusts currently available on the market are marked non-toxic; this does not mean they are edible....this may be true of gold and silver paints; make special effort to ensure that as much of your competition piece is make of edible mediums"

My question is that I plan on using the gold paint on the fondont borders, and other decorations, and the one I ordered it states is non-toxic. Do the judges really deduct points for this and the petal dusts? I have seen photos of many cakes that have placed in competions using gold luster dusts and petal dusts.

Is there an alternitve to the gold luster dust that is food grade acceptable that still will have the gold paint look? Or should go ahead and use the one I ordered that is non-toxic??

Thank you for any suggestions!!!!

11 replies
TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 12

I do not know how it works in contests. Personally I would contact someone at that particular contest and ask them to clarify it for you.

If a dust is marked non toxic that means it shouldn't hurt you if ingested but isn't meant for you to eat. Same idea as Elmer's glue.

Non-toxic and edible are two different things.

There are some edible, FDA approved dusts. Wiltons pearl dusts are FDA approved and are edible. There is also a company, SugarpasteLLC, that makes Crystal Colors. They have Crystalized Colors, I believe they are called, which are edible /FDA approved shimmery dusts.

robinmarie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you Texas Sugar. I will look into that!

StacyN Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 12

Texas Sugar, using Elmer's glue as an example of non-toxic is perfect! I dont think most people would want to eat that!

sillywabbitz Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 12

Are you entering the North Texas Cake Show? If so, me too. I can't wait. I just posted yestarday that I started my cake alreadyicon_smile.gif Just the basics but I'm really excited.

I would definately email them and ask. To me the gold paint for an accent is one thing. If you painted the entire cake gold, they may question could someone actually eat a slice of that cake...but definately get clarification. I would hate to loose points for something so minor.

I had planned on a very small amount of gold paint on mine as well. Let me know what you find out of it's the North Texas show.

robinmarie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 12

yep, i'll email them today and ask then let you know. what category and division are you entering?

robinmarie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 12

Sillywabbiz, I just looked up the Crystal Colors that TexasSugar recommended and they are 100% food grade colors. They sell them on Global Sugar Craft as well. They have so many colors to choose from and plenty different shades of gold.

Thanks TexasSugar for letting me know of Crystal Colors!!

robinmarie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 12

Also Bakery Craft carries Gold Glaze which is also Certified Food Grade

TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 12

Oh I love Crystal colors! They regular powder colors can be used for dusting, but also for coloring fondant, buttercream and royal icing. icon_smile.gif

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 12

Petal and luster dust may be used without point deductions!

metria Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 12

be aware that some competitions will disqualify if you use petal or luster dusts on "buttercream only" categories. definitely refer to your show's rules and ask questions!

sillywabbitz Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone. This is really helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%