Attaching Curlicues

Decorating By napa Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 2:14am by tlreetz

napa Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 8

Am going to try and put some curlicues on a cake I am making for my daughters birthday, can anyone advise if they are better made out of fondant or gumpaste?

Some will be around the base of the tiers so I assume fondant may be sufficient, but I would like to attach some to be sticking out of the cake. Should these be gumpaste?

Also how should I attach them? Is it enough to stick the end of them onto the cake with royal icing or icing glue? Or do I need to put a wire in the end and put this into the cake (into a straw first!).

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

7 replies
AKS Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 8

Do you mean curlicues like these black ones?
If so, fondant is fine. I attached mine with a little bit of corn syrup. HTH.

mburkett Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 8

If you're going to stick them out of the cake, then use gumpaste. I've twisted them in like corkscrew and it worked out pretty well.

sweetts99 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 8

By sticking out of the cake, do you mean like this? [url]
If so, I just mounded up some bc and stuck the curlies in.

NanaSandy Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 8

I just stick them in the cake also. I have used fondant with tylose and it worked out just fine

napa Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you very much, yes those are what I meant in the pics you guys attached (I should have stuck in a pic to begin with!! - sorry). Will give them a go!!

sharlanet Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:48am
post #7 of 8

When I made them, I used fondant mixed with tylose, cut strips and wrapped them around a pencil to dry. I left a straight "tail" on one end and stuck that part right into the cake.

tlreetz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:14am
post #8 of 8

I use 18g. floral wire and insert the wire into the cake and slide the curlies on the wire. Easy and you don't have to worry about the curlies "tails" breaking off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%