Have I Lost It?

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 4:32pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 16

I have posted several cakes on this site, and while a lot of them received many compliments and favorites, lately it seems like I can have 100 views without so much as one comment .. I don't need praise on every cake I do, but now I'm seriously starting to wonder if my touch is gone? Have I lost the passion to do cakes? Does it show?

15 replies
Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 16

I think that it is just simply people are busy and dont always take the time to comment. I know that I am guilty of the same. Look at it this way - if they looked at your photo then something peaked their interest. So, in a way it is a compliment! You havent lost your touch - trust me!!

TheCakerator Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 16

Yes, I suppose that is true .. that is one way to look at it .. thanks!

Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 16

You are more than welcome. I enjoy getting comments too, but I have come to the reality that people are just busy. As long as you continue to get praise and smiles from your customers - that is all that matters!!!

Have yourself a great day!!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 16

I don't comment, but I save the pictures as a compliment to the artist.

TheCakerator Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks guys .. A few years ago when I joined this board it seemed like every cake got a compliment or two .. and not just mine, but every cake posted! Just one of the many changes on this board ...

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 16

Look at it this way...I have one cake that, as of this morning, has 1576 views, but only 2 responses....one of which is mine saying thank you! Don't be worried that you've lost your touch, we're all in the same boat.
icon_biggrin.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 16

There are so many more photos being uploaded now than there were a few years ago. If someone opens your picture up to view it you should take that as a compliment. I am guilty of not making as many comments as I used to.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 16

I agree, viewing the picture is a compliment too.

Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys90

Look at it this way...I have one cake that, as of this morning, has 1576 views, but only 2 responses....one of which is mine saying thank you! Don't be worried that you've lost your touch, we're all in the same boat.
icon_biggrin.gif

1576 views??!!! Wow, and I thought is was awesome when I hit 400 -LOL!! I gotta a lot of catching up to do!!! Good job Kathys90!!!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 16

IMO we are all so used to seeing beautiful cakes. Sometimes it just takes an unbeleivable cake to strike our intrest to comment. Also I think you get saves when someone wants to do a cake like it in the future. For instance I seen an elmo cake the other day with all these saves & nothing to out of the ordinary w/ it, but hey elmo's popular. Lots of kids would want a elmo cake for their birthday. etc .etc.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:51pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys90

icon_biggrin.gif

1576 views??!!! Wow, and I thought is was awesome when I hit 400 -LOL!! I gotta a lot of catching up to do!!! Good job Kathys90!!!

Thanks! I was shocked myself!

cakesherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesherry Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 16

Also, consider that on my Ipod, and maybe other similar devises, I can view the pics but can't comment all of the time, write in the forum, etc. This is probably why there is such of an increase in views and decrease in comments!

TheCakerator Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 16

yes .. I suppose everyone is right .. more cakes uploaded, more beautiful cakes showing up all the time, new ipad devices, etc .. But I will take it as a compliment that many people are willing to even look at my pics!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 16

It would help if you stepped up your game in the photography department, take pictures that are close-ups, no flash/natural lighting etc..etc.. I just got a new digital camera recently and since I've been taking better pictures, I've been getting more favorites lately....and it's not that I'm so much better at cake decorating than I was a few months ago...I know it's the improved photos. I just posted a cake yesterday that got over 100 favorites and really, it's not that fabulous of a cake, I just took nice pictures of it to make you all think it was a fabulous cake icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif
I can honestly say I've got way better cakes that were way more impressive in person that have very few or no favorites...only because I snapped a quick picture of them on a crappy cell phone.
I can see that your cakes are clean and well executed but they look small and far away in the photos. I don't think you've lost it...you just need to work on the presentation of it.

TheCakerator Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:32pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks corrie .. I know I need to work on my picture taking, but a new camera is not in the budget .. I have gone out and bought one of those posterboards for the background, to block off any "house" appearance .. I do always try to make sure the backgrounds are clear of any junk .. I will try getting better pics next time ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%