How Do I Paint?

Decorating By utrwong Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 8:36am by FromScratchSF

utrwong Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:50am
post #1 of 5

I have a friend that does NOT want me to pipe on the cake she requested me to make. It is going to be a red velvet cake with buttrecream creamcheese frosting covered in red fondant. She wants me to paint or hand write happy birthday to her son in Chinese. I know how to write in Chinese. I actually pipped happy birthday before on other friend's cakes. However, this one is adimant about NO piping.

So, my question is - what would be the easiest way to paint or handwrite on the cake? I read on some sites to simply use the food color gels or water down your color icing to a watery consistency, and then you can paint (or brush?). Any suggestions for how to paint?

4 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:06am
post #2 of 5

Easiest way for me is to do a banner or cut-out in gumpaste, let it set up then use food color markers. If your gumpaste has not set up your marker will sink right in and make a mess. You could do the same thing with diluting straight gel color with vodka or water.

I use the cut out because if I make a mistake I can easily do another one, not so with drawing right on the cake.

Good luck,

Jennifer

utrwong Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:15am
post #3 of 5

Would yellow show up on red fondant, or is the gum paste banner the best route? My plan was to paint on the red fondant, but I think the red fondant by Duff (bought with a coupon haha) is a pretty bright red. So I don't know if the yellow color would really show up well on it if I were to paint on it. I want to minimize the white mainly because white is a color worn during mourning time in Asian cultures. She really wants this to be an Asian cake: mostly red and yellow. I suppose I can go ahead and cut out the shapes for the characters and find paint it soon. The cakes needs to be delivered Sunday

FromScratchSF Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:32am
post #4 of 5

But black is OK for characters, you could do black with a yellow outline, or even better, get some gold luster dust, do thick black then paint a thinner yellow inside with the gold dust.

It's just me, but I do cutouts or banners, just in case I make a mistake it's no big deal - it's not like I just painted on the cake! But my writing (piping or drawing) is the worst of my skills so I take precautions. If you are good at that then skip the cut-out step and go straight on the cake.

You can use straight fondant, it just takes longer to dry then gumpaste. The firmer/dryer the surface the sharper the lines and your color goes on smoother.

FromScratchSF Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:36am
post #5 of 5

Oh, just thought of something else, you could do a royal icing transfer, it's not technically piping, but would stand out nicely. Royal dyes black, red and yellow beautifully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%