3:45Am, Super Pound Cake Failure, Please Advise :(

Baking By sugardugar Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 3:16am by sugardugar

sugardugar Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:26am
post #1 of 5

Ack. It has so been one of those days. First of all I baked the bottom tier of an upcoming 3-tier cake, took it out of the oven and had to run without removing from the pan. When I came out that sucker was caked on and beyond repair. Ok, baked again, looks good.

Onto my issue. The blasted pound cake. Now, I have never baked a pound cake. Heck, I don't remember even tasting one. I headed to Google, found a recipe for vanilla pound cake on Martha Stewart's site, and gave it a go. The cust ordered the 8" and 6" to be vanilla pound and this was such a simple, traditional "looking" recipe, it felt right. The recipe is:

* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
* 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
* 1 cup sugar
* 4 large eggs
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

Ok. Made the 8", kept it in WAY too long, dry as bone and didn't really rise. Lesson learned: recipe is made for a loaf and not my cake tin. Start over. Made the 6" next and checked e-mail.

My first customer complaint. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif Cust states my red velvet was too red and the rice krispie lid on her cake was dry (who eats that?!). Ummm. Ok offered a discount on next order, disheartened, back to my pound cake. Seemed ok and done. Baked the 8" next.

Hour or two passes. 8" was hard as a &^&^ing rock...toss it. 6" seemed fine, levelled it, inside was goo. Garbage.

Oi.

Decided to try another recipe, nothing was at room temp, clumpy uncreamed yuckiness went in my garbage.

Long story short: a ton of money wasted, nothing accomplished, I feel moderately devastated.

Tips?

My next recipe, to be baked in say...2 hours when my daughter wakes me... is:
3 large eggs, room temperature

3 tablespoons milk, room temperature

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups (150 grams) sifted cake flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar

13 tablespoons (185 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

Does this look better? Do you think it wasn't the recipe? Is there something I am missing?

In the end I expect to give her plain ol' vanilla cake and just not charge. But that kinda makes me want to cry after trying so hard to make this bloody pound cake.

icon_sad.gif

So, I'm back to where I started. a 10" bottom layer and nothing to stack on top of it...oh and now it's almost 4am.

4 replies
scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:42am
post #2 of 5

Go to food network and look up Paula Deen's Southern Georgia Pound Cake. It has 265 five star ratings. I would share my recipe, but it is a true pound cake with no leavening and I don't think you need that to deal with. You shouldn't have a problem baking them in that small size. Check your oven temp and start checking for doneness early. I take mine out when there are a few crumbs on the toothpick. The top will be crusty. Scan through the reviews and you should get some pointers.

Pound cake sounds simple, but the method for making them turn out right is a learned skill. It is not like a regular cake. It rises through the creaming method and the incorporation of air... all for the right amounts of time.

If all else fails, there is a box mix (small red box) in the grocery store. If you are pressed for time and don't want to deal with it, get the box and keep your sanity. GOOD LUCK!

mcaulir Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:35am
post #3 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14592/cream-cheese-pound-cake-2

This is the one I use - very yummy.

Hope tomorrow is better!

Chala86 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:04am
post #4 of 5

Sounds like you had a bad night and I do feel sorry that the evil pound cake has given you so much grief. Hoping you have more luck today. Keep smiling and I'm sure you'll get there.

sugardugar Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys - the recipe suggested in this thread worked like a charm! That bad boy is finished, decorated, and good to go.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%