Baby Shower Cake Ideas?

Decorating By m_willford Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm by sully112099

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:34am
post #1 of 11

I'm debating entering a local cake contest, the theme is baby shower cakes. It would be an awesome way to promote myself, as well as a self-esteem boost if I did well. The cakes will be judged on taste (people will be eating them after judging), and originality. Looks of course, too.

This is where I'm stuck. What is something original for baby showers? I know there are diaper bag cakes, pregnant belly and boob cakes, baby bottom cakes... While I love the diaper bag idea I don't know how "original" that would be.

Any ideas you could run by me would be awesome! I keep thinking using a stork standing on or by the cake somehow, but not sure how I'd pull that off...

10 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:52am
post #2 of 11

well I love the stork idea RenP made this one and has a brief buy very well explained tutorial on how to. You might wanna check it out .

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1949368

m_willford Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:03am
post #3 of 11

That's awesome! Thanks for the link. icon_smile.gif

I was wondering about ABC blocks in more modern colors too, larger and stacked on top of each other sort of off-center or something.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:37am
post #4 of 11

The last few baby shower cakes I have done have been based on the invitations/party supplies. Perhaps a trip through the local party store for inspiration?

HTH
Kristy

KJ62798 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 11

It occurred to me later. Check out the fabric store for baby prints and draw your design from one of those.

You can use the fabric to cover the base board or cake drum. Just use Mod Podge or Elmers to decopage the fabric to the board. Both are non-toxic and you leave the cake on its own cardboard for added food safety.

If the design and the base board all flow together for design, that should net you some bonus pts with the judges.

HTH & Good Luck
Kristy

m_willford Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 11

Ooh, that's a good idea! Wheels are spinning, and DH thinks I'm nuts. LOL

KJ62798 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_willford

Ooh, that's a good idea! Wheels are spinning, and DH thinks I'm nuts. LOL

I just did my first show/contest and my DH was SURE that I was nuts.

I did a fabric covered board and took the cake design from the fabric. Pretty much everyone who saw it complimented me on how well that all worked together. (The cake is the latest in my gallery, BTW)

Good luck
Kristy

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 11

If you want originality I would visit your nearest Babies R Us, walk around and see what inspires you. Look for the ideas you have inside you. It's good practice that will make it easier for you in the future. I think if the prize is based on originality, it won't be much of a self esteem boost if you win the "originality" prize with an idea you asked us to give you.

Cayke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cayke Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 11

hi check out my baby bloom cake i just did it was a huge hit. Maybe you can draw inspiration from it. Good luck!

kimturnercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimturnercakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:15am
post #10 of 11

I love the cakes when the babies are covered with little blankies! Just a little head and a lump under a fondant blankie!

Maybe a life size version?!

Just helping the brainstorming along!

sully112099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sully112099 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 11

I made 2 baby shower cakes in the past 8 months. One for my daughter and one for a friend wish I could attach the pictures to this to show how they turned out. oh I can so I will

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%