Very Delicate Ruffle On Wedding Cake

Decorating By cookieswithdots Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 5:32pm by cookieswithdots

cookieswithdots Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #1 of 7

I am in the beginning stages of working with my daughter on her wedding cake. Her dress towards the bottom is layer after layer of very soft, light ruffles. Well-- the light bulb went on for an idea for her cake.

I would like to know how to make this ruffle. There will be 3 glass tiers that will hold cupcakes and then her cake. I would love to put the ruffle underneath the first tier of her cake.

Any ideas??

As always--

6 replies
Unlimited Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:15am
post #2 of 7

Buttercream or fondant?

cookieswithdots Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:45am
post #3 of 7


Cakechick123 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:03am
post #4 of 7

I did this cake recently using a garret frill. Its basically a scalloped circle, with another circle cut from the centre (so it looks like a ring). You frill the edges, cut it open and attach to the cake.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

imagenthatnj Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:57am
post #5 of 7

Linda Fripp cake designs come to mind when talking about delicate ruffles. But she uses rice paper, which they call "edible parchment" (I guess it sounds better).

Cakes are on the right side.

Also, for the most amazing fabric-inspired cakes and lots of ruffles, you might want to check Lori Hutchinson's (the Caketress) blog.

Margieluvstobake Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:12am
post #6 of 7

There is a you tube video showing exactly how to make these. If I was more computer literate I could just post the link here, but alas I can't. Go on You Tube and type in "how to make fondant frills". It is a 2 part video.

cookieswithdots Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all- I just love this place, always someone to help out.

I'll check out all the ideas!


Quote by @%username% on %date%