Party Invites

Business By jnestor Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 7:24am by platinumlady

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:51am
post #1 of 6

Ok I know this is going to sound odd, but lately a good amount of my clients have been ordering from me, and when I drop off the baked good, invite me to stay for their party. Some people I barely know, except for maybe the person that ordered. I really don't think its professional to do that, and I've nicely declined in the past, but the last person almost seemed disappointed. Any suggestions on how to handle this? icon_smile.gif

5 replies
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:17am
post #2 of 6

Basically, thank them for the invite then just be truthful on why you can or can not stay. Whether it's not wanting to mix business & pleasure; have more baking to do; errands to run; or if your just not comfortable with staying.

Just be honest

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:36am
post #3 of 6

I'm all for being honest, but I don't think I'd want to tell a customer that I'm not comfortable staying or that I don't want to mix business with pleasure. It may be true, but it sounds a little cold and it would put me off. Even if I was in love with your cakes, I wouldn't order from you again. You can always extend your apologies, but you have plans. Even if you are going home and vegging on your couch, it's still a plan.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:39am
post #4 of 6

I think people are being polite because you are there and there is a party going on or about to go on. I think 1 out of 10 is a courtesy invite but all 10 would not mind at all if you stayed. Sometimes people also want to brag on you. I did my friends wedding cake and I had to beg her to stop telling people I made the cake. I wanted them to focus on her , not me or the cake but people are excited about cakeicon_smile.gif I would not feel bad about declining and be pleased they think enough of you to want you in their home.

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:38am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions!! Oh I dont say "im not comfortable" etc was just curious if others have had that happen. icon_smile.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:24am
post #6 of 6

VaBelle they are just examples not meant to be taken literally. Also if you build a good relationship with your customers they can appreciate honesty. However, I don't think it's necessary to lie in order to be polite. Of course anything that is said is up to each individual .... And it's also the way you say things that matters.

Jnester yes it's has happened & the customer does understand. I totally agree with sillywabbitz they want to show you off & brag on your work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%