How Do I Make A Cake With Diamond Shapes And Get It Even??

Decorating By dholdenrn Updated 27 Feb 2012 , 2:56pm by sillywabbitz

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:59am
post #1 of 7

I have a cake to do Saturday that has the diamond shapes covering two tiers. HELP! I have never done those before and I want to make sure I do them right?? Any advice?? icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:29am
post #2 of 7

Use math. For ease of explanation, say you have a diamond cutter that is 1.5 inches wide and 2 inches tall. Your tier is 4 inches tall and it is 12 inches around. You would need 16 diamonds.
If it comes out unevenly, sometimes you have to fudge it a little in the back. Space some out a little bit more than the others. It is a challenge, but a little planning will help you tremendously!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:55am
post #3 of 7

and if yu dont have any diamond cutters purchase a set of square cutters, sold at all the craft stores and then squash them into diamond shapes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:09am
post #4 of 7

The best one is that triple diamond cutter but I guess the cake is due too soon...but for next time...I find its the easiest one to line up.

And then you just go back over it with a tool to make the lines a bit deeper.

NFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NFL Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:57am
post #5 of 7

If you donÕt have a diamond cutter, or you want custom sizing, buy a plastic right angled triangle. It's easier if you use that to make one out of something sturdy yet flexible if itÕs a round cake eg. trace on card stock or heavy plastic. Maybe you can download an image from Google, just make sure the angle is correct (90 degrees) and itÕs at least the height of the cake. As usual, make sure itÕs sanitary before placing on cake, wash if itÕs plastic or cover smoothly in saran wrap/parchment paper etc. If itÕs a square cake you can use the washed plastic triangle itself. You then need to decide what size diamonds you want, using paper, sized and taped to cake dummy or cake pan thatÕs the same height as cake, practice. Make a cake parchment round the same size as cake and make small marks at even intervals .75Ó, 1Ó, 1.25Ó etc around the top of cake. I use the Wilton cake dividing wheel to make the parchment round. Place your triangle at one of the points at the top of cake with the longest side (hypotenuse) to the right, make sure the bottom is flat on the turntable , you could mark the bottom of cake evenly as well so you actually match the dots by placing the cake on the dividing wheel and marking icon_smile.gif then use the back of a knife, spatula, bench scraper or run a quilting wheel to mark that long side. Move to the next interval and mark etc. but always ensure that your triangleÕs base is flat on turntable. Once you have marked around the entire cake, just turn the triangle around so the long side faces the opposite direction and mark those lines using the same intervals....Make very sure you start at the back of the cake, so that the front is even and then just adjust the last lines you do at the back. Good Luck!

manny350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manny350 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 9:53am
post #6 of 7

I never tried diamond shape on any dishes but reading your recipes making me to do that and curiously thinking about what can happen. I am quite good in cake making but the decoration idea you have here is totally different.

diamond shapes

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 7

There a couple of different diamond patterns. Several people recommended techniques that create a quilted look. Are looking for the quilted look or the fondant diamonds that create a harlequin pattern? Are you looking to do the effect on the of the top or bottom tier of this cake?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1959305/christening-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%