I Forgot 2 C. Of Sugar...can I Salvage It?

Baking By Kellbella Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm by Kellbella

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake, have to double the recipe....calls for 2 c of sugar...so I SHOULD HAVE put in 4. Cake in oven and it hits me...I'm missing 1/2 the sugar. Will this cake be o.k.? maybe just not as sweet? It's Toba's yellow cake and I marbled it with some cooled, melted chocolate. I'm blaming this on my DH...he kept interrupting me icon_mad.gif while I was in the "cake zone" icon_mad.gif

6 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:10am
post #2 of 7

Sugar is a tenderizer, so not only will not be as sweet, it will also feel a little tough mouth feel. But basically you have thrown off the balance of the recipe. So now you have way more liquid than sugar. It may sink from the amount of liquid if the flour cannot absorb it all.

Let us know what you get. This will be good to know.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:10am
post #3 of 7

Sugar adds moisture to the recipe, unfortunately it's probably not going to be amazing.

Roxiecat123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxiecat123 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:08am
post #4 of 7

OH, That is soooo frustrating!! That has happened to me a few times too. At least you realized this before you sold them! That would have been really bad!

Kellbella Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

Well, here's the results of my cake...I made 2 sheet cakes, one with the correct amount of sugar and the one with 1/2 the sugar I was supposed to use.

Both cakes were moist when I torted them.

The cake without the correct amount of sugar did not rise as much as the other cake, but did'nt sink in the middle either. It was moist, but did lack in sweetness as expected.

So I alternated the 4 layers, the sweet cake, then the not so sweet cake, etc. I brushed with simple syrup and then filled with a hazelnut cream cheese filling. I hope it still tastes o.k.!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 7

Kellbella, This is good to know. I now remember in the book How Baking Works where they did an experiment with the amount of sugar in a cupcake as a test for cakes. It is when you add too much sugar to flour that the cake will sink, not the other way around. And the cupcake with the less sugar was dense. Sorry I messed it up earlier. I didn't have the book handy to look it up first.

At least you salvaged this very well. If you get to taste it, let us know what you thought.

Kellbella Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 7

I didn't get to taste it, but the cake was for one of my co-workers... her son's wrestling team had an endo fo the season banquet. She said it tasted really good and the kids loved the creamy filling. So I guess it worked out o.k. after all icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%