Will My Cakes Settle The Same On The Counter Vs The Fridge?

Decorating By sugardugar Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 3:29am by CWR41

sugardugar Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, I generally do the bake today, decorate tomorrow, deliver the following day thing as I know most do. Post baking I crumb coat, pop those suckers in the fridge, give a night to settle.

This time is sorta different.
I sorta took more cake orders than my fridge will fit.

I am about to crumb coat this order, a 3-tiered cake (2 pounds and 1 wasc chocolate) and...? I don't want air pockets or tearing fondant. Will it matter if they settle overnight on my counter instead of the fridge? I don't intend to carve this one, the one that needs carving is in the freezer.

What do you think?

8 replies
cheatize Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:10am
post #2 of 9

As long as the filling isn't perishable, there's no need to put it in the fridge at all. On the counter will be fine.

indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:29am
post #3 of 9
Originally Posted by cheatize

As long as the filling isn't perishable, there's no need to put it in the fridge at all. On the counter will be fine.

ditto. my cakes never go in the frig.

sugardugar Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:23am
post #4 of 9

Thank you guys SO much! I always thought it was a necessary step. yay!

CWR41 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:35am
post #5 of 9

I don't see how it would settle at all while it's chilled in the refrigerator, so to answer the question... No, it will settle best on the counter at room temp.

HaydenSC Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:46am
post #6 of 9

It isn't necessary, but we store everything in the fridge. It keeps it looking its best. No settling or sagging, no temperature variations. It works best for us this way.

leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:49am
post #7 of 9

What CWR said. It won't settle in the fridge.

cathyscakes Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:50am
post #8 of 9

Always put it in the frig, don't have any problems

CWR41 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:29am
post #9 of 9

Of course it's going to be easier to ship frozen cake, deliver chilled cake, and keep it looking its best while it's cold, but it's going to taste best and most likely served at room temperature. Once the cake returns to room temperature, it's the customer that's going to see the results of possible settling, bulging, blow-outs, sagging, and bleeding colors. While freezing locks in moisture, refrigeration can have the opposite affect and suck the moisture from the cake. It can take several days for a room temp cake's flavors to blend with the icing to taste even better.

Although some people like to eat cake while hot from the oven, it's suppose to be eaten at room temperature. Would anyone bake brownies or cupcakes for their family and say, "Wait! You cannot eat those until tomorrow when they are chilled."????

Quote by @%username% on %date%