Does Anyone Else Feel This Way?

Decorating By KarolynAndrea Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 12:14am by SunshineSally

KarolynAndrea Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 6

I feel like writing on a cake ruins it. But I think people are still in that old school thought process that every cake should have "Happy Birthday" or "Congratulations" or even worse, something like that's like a paragrach long on it. I understand people want it for children's birthday cakes, that's fine. But other times, I think it just looks dumb. Actually, I will sometimes take the picture before I put the words on the cake. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it ok to tell people you think it would look better without it? Or just do it anyway?

5 replies
CakesGoneSweet Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 6

I feel that way! Especially if someone wants a custom cake and then wants me to find somewhere on there to write something. I do suggest other ways to have the "saying" on the piece. A gumpaste plaque or banner. Decorate the cake board with the name etc...

Unlimited Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 6

No, not if it's done well and in an appropriate place.

Only if there really isn't a proper place for it, otherwise I'd just do it anywayit's what they want.

kimbordeaux Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 6

I agree. I try to explain to costumer that it takes away from the cake. I look at the cakes I do as art. I still get a few that insist on a message so I then try to convince them to let me write it on the cake board. That usually works.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:11am
post #5 of 6

I would maybe try to build it into the design on the cake a way to write on it but sometimes it just doesn't work

SunshineSally Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:14am
post #6 of 6

I feel the same way. If there is a way to incorporate the message into the design then I don't mind. If they insist on a message on the cake and it won't work into the design then I take a picture of the cake before putting their message on a fondant plaque or banner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%