Chocolate Leather Vs Modelling Chocolate????

Decorating By SugarandSpice3674 Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 3:17am by HamSquad

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there! I am planning on making some flowers to go on top of a ganached cake, and would like them to also be as chocolatey as possible.

I saw the recipe on here for chocolate leather, which is made with marshmallow fluff instead of using corn syrup like you would for modelling chocolate. My questions are, Has anyone tried the chocolate leather?
Does it behave similar to modelling chocolate?
How does the leather dry?
Would it work well for flowers if i mix it 50/50 with fondant? Im all out of gumpaste lol

I would love to know as i have to decide right away and make it tonight. I have hot hands so im hoping this will be a good alternative, thank you for taking time to read my post.

2 replies
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 3

I also forgot to ask one more question lol

Does anyone know if it will work better if i use a 50/50 mix of modeling chocolate and fondant or a 50/50 mix of choc leather and fondant for flowers? I just read my post and realize i only wrote half of that question lol. Hope i make sense

HamSquad Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:17am
post #3 of 3

Hi sorry no one has posted an answer yet. I just experimented for the 1st time with a chocolate fondant and chocolate modeling clay. I mixed 50 - 50 for the posts for a Wrestling Ring cake. They came out fine. However, I mixed less modeling chocolate with the chocolate fondant recipe I used and it looked like distress leather. That wasn't my intent. I notice the fondant was really crumbly before adding the modeling choc. Did some research, I think I needed to add more water to the fondant. If you have a good Choc MMF recipe mixed with modeling clay, it should be fine to make flowers. Warm hands, you may want to have cold towels to keep them from having the mixture from becoming too soft. Freeze a couple of hand towels and pat your hands on them when the fondant start getting soft. HTH . You might want to add some Wilton gumtex to MMF to also help to set up the fondant/clay mixture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%