For Those Who Have Made Gumball Machine Cakes...

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 1:42am by Goonergirl

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 16

Hi All! I have two gumball machine cakes coming up for little people in my life and I'm wondering about the glass dome part of the cake -- the part that holds the gumballs -- what jars do you use for this? (A mayo jar?) It seems like the jars I've seen are too small or not the right shape. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
danielle_loves_ya214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danielle_loves_ya214 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:55am
post #2 of 16

When i made my gumball machine I bought a fish bowl type bowl! At Walmart they should have them in the craft section with the decorative glass vases and such! i hope this helps!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1967246

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:07am
post #3 of 16

That's a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!! One question -- what did you use to keep the gumballs inside when you flipped it over?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:11am
post #4 of 16

Don't flip it upside down... just cut a cardboard cake circle to sit on top and cover it with thick fondant you can shape into the topper piece. Then there's no fussing with upside down and gumballs possibly getting out and all over the place.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:17am
post #5 of 16

Ah!! Of course!! I knew that!! I was just testing y'all!! (You passed!) icon_lol.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:10am
post #6 of 16

LOL!!! YAY!!! Do I get a gold star?? I actually much prefer silver stars so if you have one I'll take that.

icon_lol.gif

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:34am
post #7 of 16

Hi,

I haven't made a gumball, but I did make a snow globe and I too used a fishbowl type ball. I had trouble finding the right size for what i wanted, everywhere I went they were too darn small. I finally found the perfect size @ Micheal's. So if you can't find it at walmart like suggested, try Micheal's in their floral section.

VMesser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VMesser Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 16

lilmissbakesalot & bobwonderbuns,
I just have to give you two a HUGE "THANK YOU" I was in a big need for a Good Chuckle real early this morning when I read this post and ya'll did a ~ Great Job ~! So i just had to come back and tell ya'll Thank You! icon_lol.gif It brought a tear to my eyes. :0)

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 12:04am
post #9 of 16

ha ha ha!! icon_lol.gif Glad to help! icon_biggrin.gif

Hey I bought a six inch fishbowl thing at Michaels today (on sale for $2!!!) icon_biggrin.gif but it has no lip on the top. Any ideas on how to make a "lid" for the top of the gumball machine?

kjjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjjs Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 12:26am
post #10 of 16

I used a styrofoam disc I purchased at the Dollar Store I believe. My gumball machine cake was done in all buttercream, so I iced the styrofoam after I carved and shaped it just a little and applied icing around the top of the fishbowl before placing the "lid" on top. I didn't have much experience with fondant at the time I made this cake but the buttercream worked out well to hold the lid on.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 3:08am
post #11 of 16

Hehehe...

Happy to lift the spirits!! icon_biggrin.gif

Off to finish cakes... one epic wedding cake down... 2 carved cakes to go...

Yay??

icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:08am
post #12 of 16

Okay I have another question -- where the heck do you buy gumballs!!??? icon_confused.gif I ask because I can't find them ANYWHERE!!! icon_cry.gif

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:29am
post #13 of 16

LOL! I didn't use gumballs in mine, I used sour candies that looked the same. I bought a PLASTIC fishbowl from a pet store, very lightweight. I made the bottom half of the cake in red, topped it with a 6" cake circle trimmed to 5", set the bowl on top filled with candy. Then topped that, over the opening, with another cut cake circle and made a hat for on top. I'll try to post a picture.

In addition, I made a mold for pennies and painted the fondant copper, they looked SO REAL!

chanielisalevy Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:30am
post #14 of 16

sorry, had trouble with the picture. good luck

chanielisalevy Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:32am
post #15 of 16

The picture won't post, I'll add it to my pictures...look at the gumball machine cake.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:42am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Okay I have another question -- where the heck do you buy gumballs!!??? icon_confused.gif I ask because I can't find them ANYWHERE!!! icon_cry.gif

I've bought gumball machine refills in the candy aisle at Wal-Mart. They're in a milk carton type package.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%