Need Birthday Cake Idea For Man With Cancer! Help!

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm by kweenofengland

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 14

my boss' son is 53 tomorrow and i just found out its his birthday. my boss and his son are both depressed because of his sons recent diagnosis with kidney cancer and had a kidney removed just a few weeks ago and bout to undergo chemo. thought i could make him a cake to take friday with him as a surprise to both of them and hopefully cheer them up. I need FUN ideas for a man i have never met. only thing i know about him is he is a pyschologist and works with mentally ill people. HELP! as of now its gonna be stripes and happy birthday! but thats no fun!

13 replies
nccustomcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nccustomcakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 14

How about a cute smiley face with a party hat or something cheery?

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 14

Dear Kween,
(love the handle and love your cake photos)

I really like the idea with the smileys and I notice you have a rainbow in your photos.

Why not smileys and rainbows, (70'sh?)

Bright sunny colors. Rainbows for hope and promise of a better tomorrow?

Hope this helps. Your heart is definitely in the right place. I think anything you do will be appreciated!

Good Luck and upload a photo for us!
tokazodo

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 14

This is a very nice idea,and as I was reading the post and finding that something fun and cheery needs to be done and that he was a psychologist, my only thought was from that movie "one flew over the coo coo's nest" and that movie from Ace Ventura when he went undercover in the pyc ward and he was dressed in a tu tu amd his hair all weird. I saw a big chicken sitting in a nest with his legs dangling over it and just a crazy fun kinda coo coo bird with it's hair messy, a paid of paper in his hand .. and anything else that come to mind, just my thought. Cake is suppose to be fun, make him smile! icon_biggrin.gif

kweenofengland Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 14

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1968499

here is what i did in case anyone is curious. thanks for all the ideas. in the end, i was too afraid to go with anything crazy! Wasnt sure how serious he was about his job, so i didnt want to offend him. turns out he works with autistic young adults. rainbows and smileys....i think i would have done for a woman, no question. AND i wanted it to be from my boss (his dad) so i thought he might question why he got him a rainbow cake or a spaghetti cake (which is what i had thought about doing). Just decided to go with SAFE and simple.

Crazboutcakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 14

This was also a pretty cake, hope he liked it, thanks for sharing.

kweenofengland Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 14

Crazboutcakes -
I LOVED the coocoo's nest idea but was concerned about offending him. Everyone told me that the guy is almost like an introvert himself, doesnt look at ppl when talking, shy, nerdy, etc. I do know he married a woman from Russia (mail order) and so all those things made me hesitant to try and be funny. i dont think he has a very humorous kind of personality! thanks for the idea though and i might try it on my own family, who would find it funny!

Crazboutcakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

Crazboutcakes -
I LOVED the coocoo's nest idea but was concerned about offending him. Everyone told me that the guy is almost like an introvert himself, doesnt look at ppl when talking, shy, nerdy, etc. I do know he married a woman from Russia (mail order) and so all those things made me hesitant to try and be funny. i dont think he has a very humorous kind of personality! thanks for the idea though and i might try it on my own family, who would find it funny!

LOL you poor woman icon_cry.gif ...lol, with all those things that played a factor I would have hessitated too icon_rolleyes.gif My way of lookiing at cake has changed dramatically over the years and cake is just suppose to be fun. It is more of the WOW factor and not just a cake, make it big make it fun and if people want a so so cake than charge them double I say icon_twisted.gif lol, kidding your cake was nice and as I said with all those factors I would have played it safe too. Well thankfully it is done..thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:48am
post #9 of 14

Kween, your cake turned out beautiful. I love the masculine colors you chose.
I'm sure it was as delicious as it looks!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:19am
post #10 of 14

Love the colors that you chose!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:59am
post #11 of 14

I love that you chose to do this cake, for both of them. And I absolutely love the cake. It's masculine, and yet beautiful. The colors are fantastic. You did a wonderful job, and they'll both see how much this came right from your heart. Good for you.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:21am
post #12 of 14

I loved your cake the colors were great...you made a cake normally made for girls look great for a man. That was a beautiful thing you did...Bless You I know he enjoyed it

cakemamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaof3 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:28am
post #13 of 14

I've read all the posts and have seen the cake you decided to do. I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for choosing such an elegant cake. This is coming from a radiation oncology nurse who cares for cancer patients day in and day out, what that man needed was a little pick me up. Any attempts at jokes like rainbows or smilies would have been too much for him as you said he was recently diagnosed. You are to be commended, GREAT JOB!

kweenofengland Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 14

thank you all so much for following up and commenting on the final result. I actually stole the colors ideas from another cc customer's cake, except she/he used circles on the cake instead of stripes, but i loved the colors she used. she did use a brown bow and I was too lazy to color mine! so thanks to all of cc for your help and advice. I havent talked to my boss since he took the cake on friday, so I am not sure how it went, but I am hoping it went well. both the cake and his son's dr's appt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%