Simple Syrup And Frozen Cake

Decorating By maitej17 Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 6:51am by maitej17

maitej17 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I've never used simple syrup before but I would like to, especially if I'm freezing a cake. Would you put the simple syrup before you freeze the cake or after, when you're ready to decorate it?

Thanks so much!
Maite icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Coral3 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:01am
post #2 of 7

I'm interested to hear what people say on this...I froze a syruped cake recently and the syrup seemed to crystallize.

scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:53am
post #3 of 7

I would wait because most cakes get more moist after freezing, and you would need to adjust for that with a little less syrup.

nodoubter22 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 9:09am
post #4 of 7

I would add the simple syrup after you thaw the cake.

leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 11:29am
post #5 of 7

After freezing for the reason stated above. Also, you can warm the simple syrup to instantly defrost a cake. Well, not instantly, but to speed things up.
I use simple syrup on every cake.

TerriLynn Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

After freezing for the reason stated above. Also, you can warm the simple syrup to instantly defrost a cake. Well, not instantly, but to speed things up.
I use simple syrup on every cake.

Hey, Leah! Do you add flavors to your simple syrup? I've heard of adding vanilla, etc., but want to hear it from an 'expert' icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

maitej17 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 6:51am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone, I think I will go ahead and thaw and then add syrup. I like that technique as well Leah, I may use the warm syrup.
Now since I've never done this before, do I add syrup to both sides of each layer (Inside and out)? Do you just brush it on, or drip it on?
I'm also very interested about the flavors as well. What flavors does everyone use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%