Best Way To Store A Buttercream Cake For 4 Days?

Decorating By rednecca Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 9:39pm by CWR41

rednecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rednecca Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 10

Friend wanted me to make cupcakes or cake for a shower on Sunday. (Yellow box mix with buttercream icing)
Well I need to go out of town on Thursday. Can I just put them in a box in the fridge and have her pick them up, should I freeze, or just leave out on counter in cool place?
I usually make stuff 1 day ahead, so I am not sure how or what to do.
Thanks for your imput.

9 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 10

My input, leave the cake out on the counter... it won't dry out when covered with Buttercream. If the cupcakes aren't completely covered, you might consider boxing them up so they won't dry out.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 10

I completely agree about the cake on the counter. I bake and crumb coat my cakes on Wednesday for a Saturday delivery all the time. People always tell me how fresh and moist my cakes taste.
The concern would be the cupcakes. They really need to be in air tight container if left for that long. Personally, I would do a cake. I don't think the cupcakes will be good for that many days. Just my opinion though.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 10

you do the cake, give to your friend before you leave and have it wrapped for the freezer and she can pull it out the morning of the shower.

CWR41 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 10

A cake at room temperature tastes best on day 4 or 5.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 10

OK...you can freeze the cake with the buttercream IF the buttercream is not crusting...remember that cakes will contract when frozen and then they will swell again as they thaw...If you use a crusting buttercream, it may crack if you put it in the freezer on the cake.

So, I would probably keep it in the refrigerator. You cannot thaw out a frozen cake properly on the day of the event, in my opinion. I always thaw out my cakes the night before an event (if they are iced) without removing any of the plastic wrap, foil, etc. The cake is as beautiful as it was when I froze it...also, the moistness will stay in the cake and the cake will not be dried out.

Hope that helps!

rednecca Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the quick replies.
The buttercream I use is 1 stick butter, 1 cup Criso, 2 LbS. sugar, vanilla, and a little milk.
I use DH box cake mix and usually freeze it for a day before I ice my cakes.
Should I freeze it before I ice it, and then refreeze it after I ice it? If I go that route?
I am using a cake box, So should I wrap it in saran wrap if putting it just in the fridge? and if I decide to freeze it. Or is the box enough?
I am giving it to her tomorrow, so I was just wondering the best way to keep it fresh for the 2 oclock shower Sunday.
Thanks again for your responses.

CWR41 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecca

Should I freeze it before I ice it, and then refreeze it after I ice it? If I go that route?
I am using a cake box, So should I wrap it in saran wrap if putting it just in the fridge? and if I decide to freeze it. Or is the box enough?

It isn't necessary to freeze your completed cake for a day, the refrigerator can dry it out... the box on the counter is enough.

rednecca Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 10

Ok thanks. I think I'll try that. How long will a cake stay fresh that way? I was concerned because of the milk in the buttercream.

CWR41 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecca

Ok thanks. I think I'll try that. How long will a cake stay fresh that way? I was concerned because of the milk in the buttercream.

It will start to grow mold in about 2 weeks.

Sugar is a preservative.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%