nccustomcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nccustomcakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 27

Hi All,

I'm new First post...

I'm going to be doing a cake like this
http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2011/01/verticle-layer-rose-cake-1.html
with Bettercreme...

the customer wants Happy 30th Birthday Sis written somewhere. What do you suggest? I'm going to do a 9inch round cake on a 12 inch round board. Not sure that there's going to be enough room to write on the cake board. Not sure that writing on top of this cake direct with icing would look good. Should I try to make something out of fondant like hearts, write on those and then have her place those on the cake just before serving?

Would love some other ideas...
Thanks!
Caroline icon_biggrin.gif

26 replies
therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 27

caroline.. the cake is too beautiful to write on top.. I would do what you said, make a heart of fondant and write on it.... icon_wink.gif therese

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 27

I agree, it would look out of place directly on the cake or on the board.

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 27

I don't have a solution for you, but I wanted to thank you for posting this link! I LOVE this cake! I'm going to try the rose thing on my next cake. Thank you so much!

cookiemom08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom08 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 27

I just made this cake last week. It was a huge hit with my family! Do not write on it .Love the heart idea.
icon_biggrin.gif

nccustomcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nccustomcakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 27

Thanks for the confirmation icon_biggrin.gif - yeah I agree! So tricky! I'll stick with the fondant heart idea unless someone else can think of a better solution.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 27

I love this cake too and to write on it would be ashame but, could you incorporate a banner of fondant or something to look like ribbon with it on there, just a thought. Post pictures. =)

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 27

I agree. Writing on this cake would ruin the flowers.

Why not a fondant bow with the writing on the tails of the ribbon??
Something small, delicate and feminine to match the flowers?

Or a banner, or a heart, they all sound good!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 27

What about a small card that sits in from of the cake in the front? I love the little feminine bow idea too.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 27

OK, I just looked closer to the cake you referred to! How did she do that with a round??!! Just beautiful.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:34am
post #11 of 27

I would make a ribbon banner and set it on the side bottom.

belizeandevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belizeandevil Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:52am
post #12 of 27

Use Acetate Liners / Sheets you can make a banner on top of the tape
write on it, and stand it up.
It clear, so you will still see the cake.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:54am
post #13 of 27

use a 14in board, then you will have the space to write on it, i would cut the letters out of fondant icon_smile.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:48am
post #14 of 27

I like the idea of making a bow and writing on the tails of the ribbon

nodoubter22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nodoubter22 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 9:04am
post #15 of 27

I like the small card idea with maybe a border using a round tip.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:32am
post #16 of 27

I think a scroll or fancy banner made out of fondant and placed across the bottom of the cake would look fine.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:19am
post #17 of 27

I wish I had another idea to offer, though all posted are good. I'm just glad you posted this cake. I saved it already and can't wait to make it. I LOVE the look of it, and it doesn't look too hard (I hope I'm right)

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:02pm
post #18 of 27

I just made this cake for my family this weekend! It only took 10 minutes to decorate and looked beautiful! How about using a ribbon for the edge of the cake board that says Happy Birthday on it?

cownsj Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:42pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I just made this cake for my family this weekend! It only took 10 minutes to decorate and looked beautiful! How about using a ribbon for the edge of the cake board that says Happy Birthday on it?

cherrycakes, since you've already made the cake, I'll ask you my question. Is this done by just doing the same swirl you'd do on top of a cupcake? That's what it looks like to me. Funny, I saw this photo, fell in love and knew I wanted to make it. Then a friend emailed me today to ask if I could do a cake for her daughter's birthday on Thurs. I showed her this cake and she loves it. So I get to do the cake I wanted to try anyway, but want to be sure of the technique going in.
Her daughter is younger, so I'll be adding some simple colorful butterflies on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

cherrycakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:50pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:

cherrycakes, since you've already made the cake, I'll ask you my question. Is this done by just doing the same swirl you'd do on top of a cupcake? That's what it looks like to me. Funny, I saw this photo, fell in love and knew I wanted to make it. Then a friend emailed me today to ask if I could do a cake for her daughter's birthday on Thurs. I showed her this cake and she loves it. So I get to do the cake I wanted to try anyway, but want to be sure of the technique going in.
Her daughter is younger, so I'll be adding some simple colorful butterflies on it.

Yes - it's exactly the same technique (start at the centre of the rose and swirl out). When I first saw it I also wanted to do it immediately! I sometimes get tired of having to work on a cake for 10 hours or so so it's really nice to make a beautiful cake in such little time!

cownsj Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:55pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes - it's exactly the same technique (start at the centre of the rose and swirl out). When I first saw it I also wanted to do it immediately! I sometimes get tired of having to work on a cake for 10 hours or so so it's really nice to make a beautiful cake in such little time!

Thank you for responding so quickly. I was hoping you were online... lol Since I saw it I've been trying to figure out who I could do the cake for because I sure don't need to eat another one. I think it was the luck of the Irish on this one; a cake I love and really want to do, IT"S QUICK TO DO (YEAH), and I get to do it for a friend's daughter, and she was born on St. Paddy's Day. I'm so excited to be doing it.. I'd ask you if that sounds silly, but since you did it right away, I guess not. thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:01am
post #22 of 27

cherrycakes, I hope you don't mind me asking one more question. Do you remember what size tip you used when you did the cake?

cherrycakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:29am
post #23 of 27
Quote:

cherrycakes, I hope you don't mind me asking one more question. Do you remember what size tip you used when you did the cake?

Not at all! That's why the majority of us are here! I used the 1M tip from Wilton.

cownsj Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:39am
post #24 of 27

Once again you're my hero. Thank you so much. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm
post #25 of 27

I'm not sure if this idea was given, but i'll share anyway. You could leave a 4 in diamete circle in the middle of the cake (smoothed of course) and write your greeting there.

Just a thought icon_wink.gif

cownsj Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:28pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeCrystals

I'm not sure if this idea was given, but i'll share anyway. You could leave a 4 in diamete circle in the middle of the cake (smoothed of course) and write your greeting there.

Just a thought icon_wink.gif

Good idea.

I just did the cake and made a large butterfly and wrote on that and put it upright into the cake (mine was for a little girl and it had smaller butterflies on the cake as well)

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:13am
post #27 of 27

Don't forget to post a pic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%