Book

Decorating By laura_d_v Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 7:57pm by tiggy2

laura_d_v Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 6

I know this is probably an incredibly silly question, but I am not that well-versed in fondant.
I am making a book cake for my son's class for biography day. How do I cover the book in fondant so it looks like a real book cover? do I just roll out a big rectangle, put the cake on one half and wrap/fold the fondant over the top? Does that make sense?

Thanks so much for helping out an incompetant mom! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
jennajane Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 6

I made a book cake for a friend recently and that was basically what I did, then add an impression for the binding. I found the tricky part was to get the fondant to overhang on three sides, which I covered in white fondant and scratched up a little to look like pages. To do this I cut a piece of cardboard the height of the cake and surrounded the white fondant with cardboard, so it the overhanging fondant would have some support while it dried.

I hope that makes a bit of sense, I am excited to try it again one day.

tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 6

You really don't have to have fondant under neath the cake. Puat a little tyloes in your fondant, cut it to fit the tope and spine and let it air dry a little so it will hold it shape before applying. Then cut three thin strips to put around the bottom three edges. After applying those on the cake board miter the overlapping corners and it will look like it is under the cake. HTH

laura_d_v Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your help.
Rosiepan - Thanks so much for the link. I'm a very visual learner, so it helps A LOT! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Rosiepan, pics are much better then written words.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%