Pricing Question (Sorry!)

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 2:13pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to come up with a decent pricing guide for my cookies ... I have come to the conclusion that I want 3.00 a cookie (bagged and tied, with 1 dozen minimum order. But now my question is this, if someone is wanting cookies in a bouquet (on sticks in a container, tissue paper etc) do you add on the cost of that material, or should that be included in the 3.00 a cookie since they won't be bagged or tied?

This is all so confusing ... icon_cry.gif

9 replies
smallville187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smallville187 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 10

It depends on how your costs compare. If the cookies are more as a bouquet I think charging the higher cookie cost for both would give you a standard or you could always price the bouquets at a standard and keep the $3 each at cost for bagging. Bouquets you call always charge based on how many in that set and materials with out doing an average price. Pricing is one of those really tricky parts just make sure you are covering all costs. HTH

TheCakerator Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 10

great, thanks for the reply!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 10

Well...I have seen some bouquets with only 7 cookies in them.If you are charging $3.00 a cookie for bagged and tied that means you would charge $21.00 for a bouquet of 7..No way...can't do it..what about the tissue paper,container,sticks,cellophane wrap to wrap the entire bouquet,ribbon..Do you see what I mean....Cookies by design charges up to $80.00 or more for some bouquets..granted there may be a few more cookies but $3.00 per cookie in a bouquet is too little..just too may extras...you have to factor in everything you use.JMO

TheCakerator Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 10

Ok .. I think I have an idea of what I will be doing .. I still have time to come up with a definite price list, just didn't know how to go about doing the bouquets .. thanks ladies!

chantalmin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chantalmin Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:15am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville187

It depends on how your costs compare. If the cookies are more as a bouquet I think charging the higher cookie cost for both would give you a standard or you could always price the bouquets at a standard and keep the $3 each at cost for bagging. Bouquets you call always charge based on how many in that set and materials with out doing an average price. Pricing is one of those really tricky parts just make sure you are covering all costs. HTH

I agree with you. It all depends in the cost. You can't make the price the same if the other container has lower or higher price..

bar stools

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:31am
post #7 of 10

7 cookies just laid in a box has a lower material cost than 7 cookies on sticks than do 7 cookies on sticks and in a container than do 7 cookies bagged/tied, on sticks, in a container.

If its $3 each, no matter what, as a consumer I'd be a fool NOT to get the whole she-bang! The baker would be a fool to think she'd be making the same kind of profit on the 7 in a container as she would on the 7 in a box.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:43am
post #8 of 10

my cookies on a tray are $2 each, My cookies in a bouquet are $15 for 5

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #9 of 10

I have the same issue as I find it a bit frustrating sometimes to bake as few as 5 cookies for a basket when I normally have a dozen minimum. icon_wink.gif

Baskets take me longer, I have to bake at least one extra cookie (learned that the hard way when I broke a cookie trying to put it into the container!) and baskets usually have some kind of a gift tag. I looked at my average costs for containter, fill (foam/shread), gift tag, wrap/ribbon and extra time. I decided that I would charge the cost of the cookies + $7 or 20% (whichever is larger).

TheCakerator Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone ... I know I want 3.00 a cookie, so I will need to figure out what I want to charge in addition for the bouquet arrangements .. thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%