Buttercream For Dummies

Decorating By Winnie_in_Wi Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 1:38am by indydebi

Winnie_in_Wi Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 8

No, not the name of a new book!

I'm doing a cake contest that allows dummies. What I don't know is do you use a special buttercream on them than you would for a reg cake? I was planning on using just a shortening, powdered sugar, & merigue powder blend. Would a royal be better?

IF the cake turns out well I might cover it with a bag and hide it away for the county fair in summer. Any tips on that other than not put it on a heat vent?

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 8

Buttercream works fine.

I wouldn't put it in a bag, but in a cardboard box to store.

Laurice Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

Brush it with piping gel and that won't go off. No need to use buttercream. Even a fine mist of water works fine, then no worries about whats underneath

TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 8

Piping gel would work if you want to use fondant.

But if you want to use ice and decorate a dummy in buttercream there is no special recipe that you have to use.

CWR41 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 8

Short term, buttercream would work.

If you'd like to store it long term, royal icing is fine but could be more difficult to ice smoothly.

If storing FOREVER (or practically forever), spackle from the hardware store is great! It's lightweight, dries lightweight, completely smooth, easy to spread, and is very durable. Unlike RI that dries hard yet still brittle, the synthetic spackle dries hard yet slightly like rubbery foam. Delicate stringwork doesn't break off!

icer101 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 8

I, ve kept a b/c decorated dummie for a year. Kept it out of any light. Looked as good as when i did it. I teach cake decorating, i decorate dummies to show student, etc. I put press and seal(nice brand) on first., smoothed it down reall good., put my b/c on and then the decos. Looked great.hth

Winnie_in_Wi Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks. all very useful info!

indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:38am
post #8 of 8

Iused my regular BC recipe but without the dream whip and vanilla (not going to eat it anyway!). No special prep....just slap it on the dummy!

I also had these same cakes sitting out in my shop for over 2 years. No bugs, no mold, no nothing. Held up fine. They also traveled to multiple bridal shows.

It's literally a fake cake. No special treatment required.

Quote by @%username% on %date%