Glass Blocks??? Can Anyone Help?

Decorating By Tclanton Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 3:51pm by indydebi

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 25

I read a post on here some time ago that someone had used some type of glass blocks to elevate their cake up off of the table. I cannot remember what they are called to be able to find them at the hardware store. Any ideas?

TIA, T

24 replies
q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 25

These are the glass block that are used:

http://www.delphiglass.com/more-crafts/glass-blocks/

I believe most home improvement stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) probably have them.

ETA: Michael's has them too:

http://www.michaels.com/DecoBloc%E2%84%A2/gc1502,default,pd.html?cgid=products-generalcrafts-basicsupplies&start=1

HTH,

Toni Ann

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 25

I'm not sure that they're called anything other than glass blocks, but you should be able to find them at any home improvement store. Builders use them to create walls...like for showers, etc. Good luck!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 25

I built a glass block wall in my home about 5 years ago. I actually had a lot of trouble finding them. Home Depot/Leows etc did not carry them. I eventually found a tile store that sold them. But they only kept the floor model samples in the store and we had to order what we needed. Took about a month to get them. They told us the reason Home Depot etc don't carry them is that they take up too much room and are too fragile.

I'd try Michaels first

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 25

I have seen them at hobby lobby as well.

Tclanton Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2wheels

These are the glass block that are used:

http://www.delphiglass.com/more-crafts/glass-blocks/

I believe most home improvement stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) probably have them.

ETA: Michael's has them too:

http://www.michaels.com/DecoBloc%E2%84%A2/gc1502,default,pd.html?cgid=products-generalcrafts-basicsupplies&start=1

HTH,

Toni Ann

Thanks you very much!!!

Tclanton Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 25

Thank you all very much for your help. Sweet 16 cakes need to be awesome right??

Have a great day everyone.

T

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 25

I have a picture of some in CC pictures. They were glass blocks about the size of bricks. They came from Hobby Lobby. We used about 6 of them with a piece of heavy glass on top. The center of the structure was hollow so we used tulle and white Christmas lights. Very pretty at night or in low light.

cakelady2266 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 25

Sorry but I forgot to add the link.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1813541[/img][/url]

Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I have a picture of some in CC pictures. They were glass blocks about the size of bricks. They came from Hobby Lobby. We used about 6 of them with a piece of heavy glass on top. The center of the structure was hollow so we used tulle and white Christmas lights. Very pretty at night or in low light.

Question - would they require another flat surface on top of them or are they ok to use without it? In other words, are they flat and symmetrical?

Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 25

By the way - your display and the cake are beautiful!!!

cakesbybeccam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybeccam Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 25

I order my glass blocks from home depots web site. They come in a case of 8 for $50.00 and the shipping is very reasonable.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 25

Another good place to look for glass blocks is Craig's List, people that have used them in home projects may be looking to get rid of their excess. I know I picked up a few that way.

Or just search the web. Most of the home improvement stores don't carry them in-stock any more. If you can find a manufacturer, they may have a "public outlet" I know there is one here in Michigan.

As long as your cake is on a good solid base, you shouldn't need anything else on top of the blocks if you have them all pushed together. If you are planning to use lighting then you may want to put something over them to fill the gap in the center so that when you place your cake on them they don't shift and you drop the cake into the center. (does that make sense?)

Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:50pm
post #14 of 25

Understood - thank you MissLisa!!!

cakelady2266 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 25

We used a piece of glass on top of the blocks. The glass needs to be thicker than picture frame glass, or you could use Plexi glass. Hobby Lobby had glass blocks on sale the other day for $4.50 each. The smaller brick size blocks look better than the really bigger ones.

If there is no outlet for the lights close by you can use LED tealights.

Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 25

Thank you Cakelady!!!

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:20pm
post #17 of 25

My wedding cupcake display used them and I ran lights up the set up to make them"glow". The size I used were 8 inches wide and 4 inches tall. They come in different textures(icey with ripples, deco style, etc. ). Then there are larger blocks 8 by 8 or so.

Average cost $5.50-7 a block. you can buy them by the case but lowes didn't discount them if you did. Maybe a warehouse type store would.

Love to see it when you are done.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:38pm
post #18 of 25

walmart sells small square glass vases that you can use in the same way. they should be in the craft section where the artificial flowers and floral foam is at. i looked at these for my wedding cake. hth!

Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:50pm
post #19 of 25

Our WalMart here in town has reduced their craft department tremendously. They no longer carry most of the items they once did. I have been able to find them at Lowes about 15 miles south of here, so I think I have reached success. Now just to put them all together with twinkle lights. I will post pics sometime after the 19th.

Thanks to all of you for all of your help. I know I can always count on you all!

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm
post #20 of 25

I got mine at Michaels's using the 40% off coupon. Took my daughter with me and went 2 times. You can only use one coupon per puchase. I used battery operated christmas lights in them. It's my Las Vegas cake.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:59pm
post #21 of 25

I have used blocks under my cakes too. I actually got them at a specialty store. They are glass blocks for the basement glass block windows. My dad has a special drill bit that cuts through glass he made the holes and I stuck a strand of lights in each one. My mom also makes these for the holidays she puts colored lights in. For Halloween we have orange lights and then she buys a ribbon and decorates like a package and puts a bow on top. they are pretty lit up in a room.

singsing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singsing Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #22 of 25

I used blocks several years ago, not necessarily as a riser but more of a cake stand, I didn't use lights. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/658003 I got them at Lowes or Depot for about 7.50 each. I have since seen them at craft stores with holes already in them.

Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #23 of 25

The Vegas cake is awesome - now I am getting really excited.

Tclanton Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 2:04pm
post #24 of 25

Good Morning!!! I actually pulled of a lighted base and I think it looked awesome. The pics are in my profile pics.

Thanks again to all of you for your help! You helped make a 16 year old scream "you cant cut it"!!!! Needless to say it was cut and wasnt much left over!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:51pm
post #25 of 25

I used them for my Mirrored Dessert stand ( http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1274312 ) and for a smaller cake for a friend (http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1285874 ). I bought all of them at Lowe's. Bathroom dept. LARGE inventory of them! Used large mirrors on the Dessert Stand.

You should have seen me and my friend laying out these blocks in the aisle so I could make sure I was getting enough for the layout I had in mind! icon_lol.gif

I also put pieces of no-skid material on top of the blocks and under the mirrors to prevent glass from sliding on glass. Be aware that the colored no-skid will reflect down thru the glass. If you use purple no-skid, the purple will gleen thru the glass blocks, so if the bride's colors don't include purple ........! Use white for "no-color bleed".

I spent over $300 in materials for the Dessert Stand. Be sure your mirrors are pretty thick and sturdy if you're building more than one layer as they have to support add'l glass blocks plus whatever else you put on them. The big mirror on the bottom cost me about $80.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%