Help Air Craft Carrier Cake

Decorating By lanaooo Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm by lanaooo

lanaooo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanaooo Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 15

My coworker wants an aircraft carrier cake for her husbands Navy retirement. See pic here:

http://kennywaynefields.com/images/cv66_9.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/keithwarner/ph-10146.jpg

I can't figure out how to do it. The cake gets smaller toward the bottom of the ship so it would not support the top half if I did it out of cake. Also there is the part where the ships take off from that hangs off the side of the ship. I can't figure out how to cut that out without the cake just falling off. Help! I can't get the pictures to attach of the ship...

14 replies
michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 15

Well, I don't know if this is going to help or not. I did an aircraft carrier cake but just didn't do the angled cut at the bottom. I would think if you did do the angled cut the cake should still hold. I know don't about the overhang piece. I didnt exactly overhang that part.

Check out my cake. I just baked an 9x13 and carved the top end. Basically, I just made a simplified version and added buttercream water around the edge. The kid I made it for absolutely loved it though it was not an exact replica of the aircraft carrier.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1907049

Good luck and Hope it helps a little. Maybe someone else can give better advice.

Cayke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cayke Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 15

I haven't done one of these but i would probably use rkt for the angles and then build cake up on the cereal treats.

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 15

I did an aircraft carrier cake and I carved three layers of a 9 x 13 rectangle to the shape of the carrier and the top deck tarmac was a black fondant covered board cut to shape.

URL:  http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1698004

Not the best, but it worked icon_redface.gif

lanaooo Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:38am
post #5 of 15

I had thought about both RKT and the idea of putting a board on it. I was thinking about doing a base and then building the top deck as the actual cake. The board underneath holding the cut out parts. Thanks for the images they were helpful. I thought about not cutting the curves...thanks for showing me what that would look like. It doesn't look bad at all.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:01am
post #6 of 15

i also did one, (one of my very first pictures in the gallery) but mine was pretty big, 6 9x13 cakes. just taper the sides a little, it doesn't have to be as angled as the real thing. I also used a board for the deck, used a choc mold for the little airplains and made sailors manning the rails, That might be quite neat for a retirement cake, all the sailors. Ipiped them out of royal icing and they stood 1" high.

lanaooo Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks I think it was your cake that I saw on Flickr if I am not mistaking and I asked about it. icon_wink.gif Great job this gives me a direction to go in...but I am not sure I could make all those men. lol

sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 15

it wasn;t mine, i dont have a flickr account, but the sailors are real easy to make, it took 92 for my cake you would not need as many. i think i have a close up of them if you want to see.

sweetcakes Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:14am
post #9 of 15

guess i do have a flickr account after all, i forgot all about it.

lanaooo Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:43am
post #10 of 15

what did you do for support between layers? I have to do the cake this weekend....thanks again for all your help.

sweetcakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #11 of 15

i would have split each cake in half and iced 3 layers together then put a board with straws as supports.

Kakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakie Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:04am
post #12 of 15

As long as you have a few layers with boards & supports, the extra support should suffice for the overhang.
If you're still paranoid, you could do the end with the overhang in rice crispie cake (it's lighter & stronger), then attach it to the main cake with support dowels running horizontally through the cake to more crispie cake at the other end.

Bugger of a cake to do though, wouldn't be on the list of my most enjoyable cakes to do!

lanaooo Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:06am
post #13 of 15

I decided on the top tier that I am just going to cover cardboard and do the overhangs out of that. I am making it out of 6 9x13 cakes but because I am tapering them in I wasn't sure how much support I need between each of those layers, I guess I could taper the cake boards in between but wasn't sure if boards in between was necessary.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:56pm
post #14 of 15

I saw Jeff make one of these on the Ace of Cakes and even he had trouble with it. He used styrofoam for one end of the ship and he still had problems with the weight of the upper cake causing the cake to collapse. I would try to go for a design that has less tapering at the bottom of the ship.

Here is an awesome cake I saw on Flickr. Wish I knew how they did this one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carynscakes/3648047314/

lanaooo Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 15

That one stressed me out but in the end it was ok. Thanks for everyones help...well I tried to add the pic but can't see to get it to attach.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%