Big Air Bubble...

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 7:19pm by KarolynAndrea

sweetnessx3 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 6

I just excaped a disaster ..... I made a shoe box cake 3 layers high , I stacked and let it settle for about 8 hours , filled with cream cheese icing and iced in bc ... decorated in mmf .... went to deliver the cake about 6 hours later and noticed a huge bulge on the side icon_sad.gif ...I just thought omg what the heck is that????? I realized it was a big air bubble ... I poked a hole in it and pressed the icing back down.... it just kept wanting to bulge out ... finally delivered without anyone noticing ... I just dont know what caused this . any ideas ? Im going to try and attach a pic . If the pic dont attach Im going to load in my pics. Thanks everyone !

5 replies
sccandwbfan Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 6

Wow, I've seen little air bubbles, but never anything like you are describing. I'm anxious to see what the others say.

KarolynAndrea Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:50am
post #3 of 6

Ahhh, the dreaded Blow-Out! It has haunted me many times. And it always seems like it happens on the front of my cakes! When you filled the cake, did you pipe a dam around the edge with really stiff buttercream first? (Add powdered sugar to BC until it gets very thick, but still able to be squeezed out of a bag with a coupler.) Then fill with your filling. Cover with plastic wrap and let settle. (I let it settle overnight.) Now, when you ice the cake, make sure you take off the plastic and let it sit so the moistness evaporates. Also make sure the BC isn't too thick. I have had problems when it isn't easily spreadable. So basically the BC has to be a good spreadable consistency. And make sure when you are spreading the BC on the cake that you are adhearing it to the cake. If there is too much air between the cake and the icing, it will happen. Wow, I've rambled on! Sugarshack has a DVD called Perfecting the Art of Buttercream, you can get it at SugarEdProductions.com. All her DVD's have helped me IMMENSELY! Oh, and whenever I do get a blowout, I take a toothpick to pop the bubble, gently push it back in, and dip a palette knife into some water and smooth it out. Hope that helped!

sweetnessx3 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 6

KarolynAndrea that makes alot of sense..... Im going to look at getting the dvd , Thank you sooo much ... I did let it settle for hours BUT i didnt make a dam didnt think I needed it for creamcheese filling because it was kind of thick . Atleast my BLOWOUT was on the side of my shoebox lol! I think my icing might have been to thick and didnt stick to my cake . I had never seen this before and OH MY i learned a lesson !!!! Thank you again!!!

GGFan Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 6

KarolynAndrea, did you let your cake settle in the fridge or room temp? Thank you icon_smile.gif

KarolynAndrea Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 6

I follow Sharon's rules on her Perfecting the Art of Buttercream DVD. I let them settle wrapped in plastic on the table overnight. Remove plastic, let moisture evaporate, then ice and refrigerate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%