Have You Heard Of Nicoise Cake?

Baking By sweetlybaked Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 9:37pm by SauciesSweets

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:45am
post #1 of 4

There is a local french bakery that makes a "Nicoise Cake". It is DELICIOUS, but I'm trying to figure out the way to make it. I've tried to look it up on the net but everything nicoise is salad. It seems like a vanilla cake, maybe a sponge or chiffon, with a LIGHT custard filling with fresh fruit. It is iced in maybe what I call chantilly cream (whipped cream, real, not rich's or pastry pride) and on the top, there is like a poured fondant. Ok, so I know the layers, but does anyone have any good recipes for a tasty sponge or chiffon. Oh, does chiffon always need to be made in an angel food pan? Any recipes for maybe I'm guessing, a pastry cream or poured fondant? And, if I want to make a home made whipped cream, does it need to be stabilized somehow? Any help would be wonderful. Thank you!

3 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:01am
post #2 of 4

Im just watching this thread 'cause this sounds delish!

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 4

Ok, so I called the bakery. They said it is white cake, bavarian cream filling with fresh fruit, iced in buttercream, shaved almonds on the side, fresh fruit on top of a layer of poured fondant on top. But their buttercream is NOT the traditional american buttercream. It is NOT sweet. I thought it was a chantilly cream, but I asked the girl if it was a meringue buttercream, she asked the bakers and they said no???? I don't know what it could be then? I think I will call back and re ask the question, hopefully get someone else or act like I have an alergy or something, lol. Anyone have any thoughts?

SauciesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SauciesSweets Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 4

I am pretty sure I know what bakery you are talking about... and yes, I have enjoyed that cake on many occasions!

When I discovered European buttercream icing, it changed my life! I tend to make Swiss buttercream more often than Italian just because it seems easier.Both Italian and Swiss buttercream icings are essentially it is just a stable meringue with butter whipped in, The basic ingredients are 1 part egg whites, 2 parts sugar and 4 parts butter (that is why it is soooo good) for a the Swiss buttercream icing, soften your butter to room temperature (70 degrees) in a bowl over a simmering pot of water, whisk your egg whites and sugar continually until it reaches approximately 160 degrees (hot to the touch). Place the bowl of warmed egg whites and sugar onto a stand mixer and whisk until the bowl seems just slightly warm to the touch (10 minutes or more-you do not want to melt the butter) when your meringue has cooled add the room temperature butter about 1 tablespoon at a time, add vanilla to taste, and continue to beat until it forms a nice buttercream! To make an Italian buttercream, put the sugar into a sauce pan adding just enough water to moisten the sugar, heat stirring until sugar has dissolved, bush down the sides, turn up to medium high and continue to cook until it reaches a soft ball stage. Meanwhile whip your room temperature egg whites to form firm peaks, turn your mixer down and add your syrup mixture in a slow but steady stream. The rest is just like the Swiss meringue, as soon as the bowl seems just slightly warm to the touch add your butter a little at a time. If it seems that the butter is melting when you add it, stop and either wait a little longer until the meringue has cooled or set your bowl in the refrigerator for a few minutes. You can make these icings ahead of time, but you want to warm them until about 15% has melted and then whip until a smooth buttercream has come together! Enjoy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%