Shipping Cupcakes (This One's Different I Promise!)

Baking By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 5:47pm by scp1127

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:46am
post #1 of 7

I know there have been a million posts and questions about shipping cupcakes but I have a different one for you all....

I'm going to do fondant covered cupcakes with filling, instead of frosting on top so they'll ship better. I'm not worried about the placement, shifting during transit, etc, I'll figure that out.

But my question relates to freezing the cupcakes BEFORE I ship them. Can I freeze them if they're filled and covered in fondant? Do you think that will be an issue? Then, if they're frozen and vacuum packed (like food saver) when they're shipped, if I pull them straight from the freezer and take them to the UPS store right away, for two day shipping do I need ice?

Any thoughts?? Thanks everyone!

6 replies
malene541 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:27am
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't freeze them. I've found sometimes when a cupcake is froze then during the defrost the paper can and tends to detach from the cake. It would defrost while traveling anyways so why freeze to begin with?
I made some mini cupcakes, filled them then melted white chocolate over the tops so they wouldn't stick to the packaging and mailed them a couple states away and was told they arrived perfectly well.
I know there are cupcake boxes that you can buy that have little holes where the cupcakes fit in perfectly. I think that would be the way I would mail full sized cupcakes. The fondant on top is a good idea though because I don't think frosting would survive.

scp1127 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:36am
post #3 of 7

I wouldn't freeze them. Put a piece of cardboard in the bottom of the foodsaver bag and put the cupcakes on topI then add wax paper on top if I think it will stick. Stop the vacuum before they get squished. I sent my Kitchenaid mixer box full of baked goods via UPS to my grandparents at Christmas. Everything arrived in perfect condition and fresh. It was all scratch, so less shelf life to begin with. By the way, I used bubble wrap on the bottom, sides, top, and between the layers and not one thing messed up. Your cupcakes will be fine.

scp1127 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:40am
post #4 of 7

Forgot to mention... I sent them the cheapest rate and they got there in two days. No need to pay extra for overnight.

This all changes if your filling needs to be refrigerated. What filling are you planning?

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys! I was just going to do buttercream filling. That should be ok right? Because of the sugar content?

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys! I was just going to do buttercream filling. That should be ok right? Because of the sugar content?

scp1127 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 7

What kind? I wouldn't ship IMBC. But butter and ps should be ok if you are shipping and sending in a colder climate. Crisco and ps will last.

Quote by @%username% on %date%