Stick Butter Or Margarine?

Baking By dmenifee Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 2:12am by Angel_Cake

dmenifee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmenifee Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:12am
post #1 of 12

I have been wondering is their a difference in using stick butter and margarine? I currently use Gold N Soft margarine when making cupcakes. I have never used butter thus far. When trying to make Cream Cheese frosting the frosting doesn't get thick n stiff enough to place on top of my cupcakes. To start using stick butter or stick margarine?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:16am
post #2 of 12

I'm a margarine-only person. Don't like the taste of "real" butter. Grew up on margarine. that's what my taste buds are atune to.

There are differences in margarines. Some have a higher water content than others and will affect recipes differently. I never use Blue Bonnet. I always use Imperial (ironically, the cheapest stuff on the walmart shelf!).

dmenifee Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:18am
post #3 of 12

Thanks. Gold N Soft has is 70% vegetable oil spread margarine. Does margarine affect making cream cheese frosting?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:24am
post #4 of 12

oh and "spread" is WAY different than margarine! Spread is designed NOT to harden up, i.e. stay soft ... which may be a problem when you're making icing that you want to hold its shape in a flower or a border.

dmenifee Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:52am
post #5 of 12

LOL! I just realized I was using spread instead of margarine the whole time! LOL! O MY! I will be heading to the store to get butter and show how the frosting turns out. Wish me luck! Another thing, is my vanilla cupcakes a an eggish smell to them, hard to explain, and a taste that I can't explain, but its moist and perfect recipe expect for those two problems. I used the following recipe from Buddy from the Cake Boss:

Ingredients
# 21/2 cups cake flour, plus more for flouring the cake pans
# 2 cups sugar, plus more for unmolding cake
# 3/4 cup vegetable oil
# 21/4 teaspoons baking powder
# 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
# 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
# 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
# 1 cup whole milk
# Unsalted butter, for greasing two cake pans (about 2 tablespoons); nonstick
# cooking spray or vegetable oil may be substituted

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:57am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm a margarine-only person. Don't like the taste of "real" butter. Grew up on margarine. that's what my taste buds are atune to.

There are differences in margarines. Some have a higher water content than others and will affect recipes differently. I never use Blue Bonnet. I always use Imperial (ironically, the cheapest stuff on the walmart shelf!).

That's funny you said that, when I saw the thread I was thinking I only like Imperial.

Here's where I'm odd...I used to only cook/bake with margarine, then one day I tried making bread with butter rather than margarine and I liked it better. But that's just me.

I still like margarine better on things, just not in things.

dmenifee Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:16am
post #7 of 12

I didn't know I have been using spread this whole time! I use it in my cupcakes recipes, I will be switching to butter ASAP!

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:20am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenifee

I didn't know I have been using spread this whole time! I use it in my cupcakes recipes, I will be switching to butter ASAP!

hehe!! There was quite a while that passed where I was using spread before I realized that it was different than the sticks. It's all good icon_smile.gif

Best of luck with your cupcakes!!

dmenifee Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:22am
post #9 of 12

hahah! I'm such a goof! lol! Do you know of any good vanilla cake recipes?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:40am
post #10 of 12

I only use real butter. Margarine is not digested by your body as well as butter, and I personally think that butter tastes better. But that is what I grew up on too. I never cared much for the greasiness of margarine.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:04am
post #11 of 12

This is weird, I grew up with margarine -I even helped my mother color the stuff back in the 40's. (Ok, I stood on chair and sprinkled or squeezed the colorant into the mixing bowl.) But I will generally do without if I am offered margerine now. Butter all the way. I used to use margarine in baking, until I noticed that my dog would steal sticks of butter left on the counter but never touched the margarine. I thinks she knows something that people don't.

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:12am
post #12 of 12

Narie, I'm the same way. Grew up on margarine but won't touch the stuff now! I definitely prefer butter! (And my dogs like butter too!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%