Fruit In Cakes

Baking By Cocobongo Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 10:56am by auzzi

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 5

Dear CC'ers

I was experimenting with flavours and tried putting fresh strawberries in a sponge cake. Complete disaster as they are full of water. I want to be able to make a strawberry cake (not frosting, the actual cake) and also raspberry. In the UK, I struggle to find flavourings that you can bake with. I can't find freeze dried of these either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I wanted to make a raspberry and white choc cake but with the raspberries in the sponge. Perhaps cook them to remove the moisture?

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Coco x

4 replies
Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 5

I would also like some tips on this. Thank you.

ingy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ingy Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 5

I like to use frozen fruit i put it in a pot with no water heat on low to medium and heat the fruit until it has thawed there will be enough juice in the pot as the water will come out of the fruit once it has unthawed. then i mix in a cup alittle cornstarch and water it usually is fairly thick, then i add this to the fruit and stir until the juice is clear and thickened, i let this cool down completely and when i want to put it on my cakes i always put a layer of butter cream with this fruit mixture on top! other than that i use fresh fruit when possible and as long as the fruit is not too ripe i add it on top of a layer of buttercream or ganache ! hope this helps!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:00am
post #4 of 5

Extra flour may help offset the wet fruits. But strawberries would still have little flavor. Many years ago I gave up baking anything with strawberries, although they're perfect for using with shortcakes, as a garnish, or topping tarts and cheesecakes.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:56am
post #5 of 5

Try strawberry preserves ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%