Chocolate Ganache Frosting

Baking By Kaobi Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 7:37am by sweetaudrey

Kaobi Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 5

I had a Chocolate Ganache cake a while back and it was fantastic! I dont know if the whole cake was Ganache or just the frosting but I have a good chocolate cake recipe that I would like to try with it icon_smile.gif

4 replies
JanH Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 7:35am
post #2 of 5
sweetaudrey Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 5

I have a question that this person might also find the answer helpful. I've seen some cakes make with ganache that is thicker and almost like a frosting consistancy. I've also heard that the consistancy of ganache has alot to do with the kind of chocolate you use (and the amount of cocoa in the chocolate). So my question is...how do I get my ganache to the consistancy of thick frosting? Is it just temp or am I using the wrong chocolate? (I use semisweet and bittersweet)

KJ62798 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 5

The consistency of ganache is all based on the ratio of chocolate to cream. The more cream, the thinner your ganache will be.

For the frosting-like consistency, use a 2parts semi-sweet or dark chocolate to 1 part heavy cream. Once the chocolate is melted & full blended with the cream, let it cool to room temp. Use it as is or whip it in your mixer for a fluffier consistency. It can be left at room temp just cover it loosely until it cools completely or you will get condensation that can mess things up.

For the pourable glaze-like ganache, you would increase the amount of cream. I haven't made that one in a while so I'm not certain of the exact ratio. Closer to 1:1 but you should probably verify that.

Ganache is easy. The only hard part is not running off with the bowl & a spoon.

HTH
Kristy icon_lol.gif

sweetaudrey Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:37am
post #5 of 5

Haha! I agree! It's very, very good! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%