Question On Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By holliellen Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm by cakeandpartygirl

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 17

I use sugar shacks recipe for BC and I just add cocoa powder to it and its good but I dont think it gets dark enough or quite as chocolaty as I would like. How do you get your chocolate BC darker and more flavorful?
Thanks,

16 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliellen

I use sugar shacks recipe for BC and I just add cocoa powder to it and its good but I dont think it gets dark enough or quite as chocolaty as I would like. How do you get your chocolate BC darker and more flavorful?
Thanks,

More flavor....melted unsweetened chocolate....more color.....brown food coloring....the coloring also help prevent the streaked effect you sometimes get when you smooth chocolate icing with a hot knife.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 17

Special Dark Cocoa powder is what I use.

If you want it darker or more chocolately add more chocolate too it. You just may need to add a little more fat or liquid to it.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 17

Hershey's Chocolate Syrup + black food coloring.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 17

melted chocolate chips mixed into bc

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:37am
post #6 of 17

I use the unsweetened chocolate and it is yummy. My family really likes it

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:48am
post #7 of 17

You could also add chocolte ganache to the icing. I never have, but I was speaking to a pro one day about chocolate icing and she told me that's what she does. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:58am
post #8 of 17

I make Toba Garrett's . Delicious!! you add ganache to it. so creamy and good.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 17

Sugarshack's recipe is all high-ratio shortening, but chocolate buttercream tastes best with butter. In addition to the above recommendations, try subbing out some of the shortening with butter.

Or, instead of trying to adapt this recipe, just use a good chocolate buttercream recipe! The one on the Hershey's can is pretty good.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Special Dark Cocoa powder is what I use.

I use it too....makes a nice deep dark brown.... thumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:14am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Sugarshack's recipe is all high-ratio shortening, but chocolate buttercream tastes best with butter. In addition to the above recommendations, try subbing out some of the shortening with butter.

Or, instead of trying to adapt this recipe, just use a good chocolate buttercream recipe! The one on the Hershey's can is pretty good.

I tried that one once but it had a little bitter taste to it to me but maybe I will try it again and see what happens.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:36am
post #12 of 17

I made a Wilton's recipe chocolate BC with 1/2 butter-1/2 shortening and added ganache to boost the flavor. It was delish and RICH icon_surprised.gif but crusting wasn't in the cards. I just used it for a filling. Yum!!

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:02am
post #13 of 17

I go the semi-homemade route! I make homemade buttercream, and add in Pillsbury chocolate fudge frosting.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:00am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

I tried that one once but it had a little bitter taste to it to me but maybe I will try it again and see what happens.

Hmmm...bitter is not good. I haven't made it in a while, because I've been using a lot of whipped ganache.

How about Buddy Valastro's fudge frosting:

2 1/2 C. butter
5 C. powdered sugar
2/3 C. cocoa
1 T. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
3 T. milk

I saw it posted here on CC recently and I've been meaning to try it. I need something quick and not-too-fancy for kids' cupcakes.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:18am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

I go the semi-homemade route! I make homemade buttercream, and add in Pillsbury chocolate fudge frosting.

HA! That's what I do!! Delicious!!

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:36am
post #16 of 17

I use a chocolate fudge buttercream I found here on cc, very chocolatly and yummy!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

Hmmm...bitter is not good. I haven't made it in a while, because I've been using a lot of whipped ganache.

How about Buddy Valastro's fudge frosting:

2 1/2 C. butter
5 C. powdered sugar
2/3 C. cocoa
1 T. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
3 T. milk

I saw it posted here on CC recently and I've been meaning to try it. I need something quick and not-too-fancy for kids' cupcakes.

Thanks I will be trying it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%