Topsy Turvy Cake!!!

Decorating By kupcak3 Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm by fabray13

kupcak3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kupcak3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 9

So I recently posted here about how to make a stand for a topsy turvy cake, and I finished mine, and it couldnt have come out any better so I thought I would share with you how i did it.

I used a 1in wooden dial rod, and pvc pipe with a 1in INSIDE diameter.
Here is each board, the wooden boards have a hole just big enough to fit over the wooden dial, so they will rest on the pvc. In the center I just superglued the section of pvc pipe to the board (so it stayed in place to build cake and could be removed to cut cake) Also I cut the pcv at a 25 degree angle i think.

Thus, they all easily slide together and is very sturdy and easily come apart.

Finished stand!

So I baked, filled and iced the cakes on the boards (around the pvc centers). Took each individual cake with me to the location and just slide them right on the stand!!!
Here is the finished wedding cake!
[/img]

I was having some issues with my buttercream also, where I iced the cake, the building was being closed the following day and they shut off the A/C on me. I was having a terrible time!!! But I still believe it came out very well...Especially after the weeks of doing the gumpaste flowers!!!

8 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 9

Great idea, kupcake3! Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and the explanation. Your topsy-turvy is to die for! I'll be saving your tutorial in hopes that I get up the nerve to try it someday!

kupcak3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 9

No problem!!! ALso forgot to mention something i found out by trial and error with making the stand is that topsy turvy cakes when they go square/round/square. The bottom 2 tiers are a 14in square AND 14in round!!! then next 2 tiers are a 10in square AND a 10in round!! then a 6in square for the top!! That was very important for it look even and everything. Thanks for checking it out!!!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 9

Great tutorial and pics - thank you so much for sharing. Beautiful cake - you did a wonderful job!

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I have been wanting to learn how to do one of these!! One question, how tall is each section of PVC?

pattycakescookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakescookies Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 9

Excellent pictorial and thanks for sharing. I have one question, what is the height of each pvc pipe?

kupcak3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 9

The exact length of the pvc I am not 100% sure. I have the measurements wrote down somewhere I will have to find them but I can show you how I got the measurements. Basically I planned the stand off of each cake being 4in in hieght (including cardboard and teh 1/4 board they sat on) So I did my measuring and figuring out angles like this....

Also the 7" is there to able to find the angle at the pvc (since it is exactly HALF of the bottom teir which is 14in.

I used something I found online to find the angle i needed which made it the same the whole way up the stand. The pvc went through the cake (BUT NOT the 1/4in plywood so subtract a 1/4in) But the space between the cake was exactly 4in so, soo the length of the pvc was about 7.5-7.75in from the CENTER of the pvc soo /____/ if this is your pipe (laying sideways) it is from the CENTER of the angle at the top and the bottom. (keep in mind the bottom section sat flat and did not have an angle.)

To test all this I got a large piece of styrofoam from Lowes this green stuff 2in thick. cut out the sizes of my cakes and stacked it to be 4in. and used that to test it out!!! Hope this answers your questions!!!!

kupcak3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 9

I do recall now I did end up having to cut about 1/4-1/2in off each section of pvc so the cakes would be just touching at each angle, which i discovered with using the styrofoam pieces.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%