Ideas For A Figure On Top Of Cake

Decorating By Karsn Updated 12 Mar 2011 , 2:20am by Marianna46

Karsn Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 30

I am making my first cake and it's for my small family.
It isn't really for any special occasion. I just want to surprice them with something nice icon_smile.gif
I have almost figured out how the cake shoud look at the end. I just need an idea for some kind of figure on the top of the cake. Im making my cake striped so I need something awsome to cover the ends. I dont want flowers or roses.
Any ideas? icon_smile.gif

The only colors i have are brown, pink, green, yellow and white.

29 replies
Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 30

Do the stripes go just up the side of the cake or go up over the top? Also, are you working with buttercream, fondant or something else? It's hard to suggest anything without a better idea of what you're doing, but I'm thrilled for you that you're going to be doing your first cake. If you give me a little more detail, maybe I could suggest something that wouldn't take too long and would look great.

LaurenLuLu Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 30

How about a chocolate coated cake ball in the center with pink and white polka dots on it?

Karsn Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Do the stripes go just up the side of the cake or go up over the top? Also, are you working with buttercream, fondant or something else? It's hard to suggest anything without a better idea of what you're doing, but I'm thrilled for you that you're going to be doing your first cake. If you give me a little more detail, maybe I could suggest something that wouldn't take too long and would look great.




They go up over the top. Will give you some more details. I hope you understand my writing.. i didn't study english for long. Im danish icon_surprised.gif)
My cake will be covered with white fondant over a layer of buttercream. I will make 8 stipes and 7 of them will be brown and 1 will be pink. I will cover the bottom of the cake with royal icing alternating between a brown color and a pink color.
I was thinking that maybe something pink should cover the top of the cake, or pink and brown.

I actually have more colors than i first thougt, but now i already planned the design...

Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 30

Well, even if you have more colors, pink and brown are a lovely combination. Your English, by the way, is excellent - I took you for a native speaker - so it's not the language that's keeping me from suggesting things, but a lack of information! Are your stripes all coming together at the top? If you're looking for something simple to cover the point where they come together, then you could either make a fondant cut-out (say, with a cookie cutter, for example in a heart- or some geometric-shape) or you could make a small 3D thing (like a wrapped gift box or something - your cake is a sort of gift, right?) for the same purpose. Does that help?

Karsn Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Well, even if you have more colors, pink and brown are a lovely combination. Your English, by the way, is excellent - I took you for a native speaker - so it's not the language that's keeping me from suggesting things, but a lack of information! Are your stripes all coming together at the top? If you're looking for something simple to cover the point where they come together, then you could either make a fondant cut-out (say, with a cookie cutter, for example in a heart- or some geometric-shape) or you could make a small 3D thing (like a wrapped gift box or something - your cake is a sort of gift, right?) for the same purpose. Does that help?




Glad that you understand me icon_smile.gif
Yes! The stripes are coming together at the top.
Something 3D is a great idea. Will see if i can find a tutorial on a wrapped gift box that i like. I have some leftovers of a really good chokolate cake. I could use that as the body of my figure if its going to be a bigger thing.

Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 30

Sounds like a great idea to me! Send us a photo!

Karsn Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Sounds like a great idea to me! Send us a photo!




Sure icon_biggrin.gif

I actually have another question.
Can i melt mmf and use that instead of Candy melts?

Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 30

Do you mean for gluing things onto your cake? If so, I don't know about melting it, but you CAN make a sort of glue by dissolving some MMF in a little water. I don't know how much water you should use, unfortunately. A better way to go might be to dissolve some tylose (CMC) in water - the proportion is about 1/4 teaspoon of CMC to 2 tablespoons of water. Mix it together, shake it up a little and let it sit for about 5-6 hours till all the CMC gets absorbed and the mixture is smooth. If it´s too thick, you can dilute it with some more water. Is that what you want to know?

Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 30

I'm sorry!!! I told you a big, fat lie in that last post! It's not MMF that you make the glue from, but gumpaste dissolved in water. Sorry for any confusion I'm causing you!

Karsn Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I'm sorry!!! I told you a big, fat lie in that last post! It's not MMF that you make the glue from, but gumpaste dissolved in water. Sorry for any confusion I'm causing you!




Its okay. Thank you for taking all the time explaning that. But Im affraid i didn't make my question clear enough. What i wanted to ask was:
Can i use melted mmf instead of melted candy melts for dipping and covering cake pops, sweets etc?
It dosen't have much to do with the cake im making now. I just want to be ready for upcoming projects icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 30

Aha! A different problem altogether! And I really don't know, sorry to say. I've only tried using melted chocolate. But if you figure out a way to do this, I'd be happy to hear about it. MMF is a kind of fondant called (for obvious reasons) rolled fondant. I rather think what you would need for this is another kind of fondant entirely, called poured fondant (there are some recipes here in the recipe section). And I'm not sure whether even poured fondant would harden up enough to work.

Karsn Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Aha! A different problem altogether! And I really don't know, sorry to say. I've only tried using melted chocolate. But if you figure out a way to do this, I'd be happy to hear about it. MMF is a kind of fondant called (for obvious reasons) rolled fondant. I rather think what you would need for this is another kind of fondant entirely, called poured fondant (there are some recipes here in the recipe section). And I'm not sure whether even poured fondant would harden up enough to work.




I will go on and examine it further. See if i can find a solution cheaper than candy melts. You have already been a great help, thanks.
Im so exited about this new hobby! Can't wait to get started on this cake, and can't stop thinking about the next one Im going to make!

Marianna46 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:10am
post #14 of 30

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'm away from home right now and my hands get all itchy because I need to DO SOMETHING with cake and fondant!

Karsn Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:58am
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'm away from home right now and my hands get all itchy because I need to DO SOMETHING with cake and fondant!




Haha icon_biggrin.gif

You should have a cake travel toolbox!

cabecakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:31am
post #16 of 30

How about a bow to put in the center. They are not to difficult to make. You could make one out of MMF.

Karsn Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:27pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

How about a bow to put in the center. They are not to difficult to make. You could make one out of MMF.




Thats a good idea and yeah it doesn't look difficult. I actually got an idea on my own this morning. A coffe cup/tea cup.
I baked at small chocolate cake in a coffee cup to get the right shape. 1 hour ago i finished covering it with frosting. Now i am thinking of giving it a layer of white fondant and maybe i can find some way to make a pretty pattern on the sides of it. But the thought of that it could be too heavy and sink my cake just hit me thumbsdown.gif
What do you think? If the filling in my cake get's really nice and stiff do you think it would be okay?

Karsn Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:29pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

How about a bow to put in the center. They are not to difficult to make. You could make one out of MMF.



Thats a good idea and yeah it doesn't look difficult. I actually got an idea on my own this morning. A coffe cup/tea cup.
I baked at small chocolate cake in a coffee cup to get the right shape. 1 hour ago i finished covering it with frosting. Now i am thinking of giving it a layer of white fondant and maybe i can find some way to make a pretty pattern on the sides of it. But the thought of that it could be too heavy and sink my cake just hit me thumbsdown.gif
What do you think? If the filling in my cake get's really nice and stiff do you think it would be okay?




I will make a bow instead if this is too risky! icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 30

Both the bow and the coffee cup are great ideas! Since the coffee cup is filled with cake, I don't think it would be too heavy, but if after making it, it feels heavy to you, you could wait until just before you serve it to put it on the cake. If it's just a little too heavy, it won't weigh your cake down right away, and you can serve it and cut it before any damage gets done. I've put some pretty heavy decorations on the tops of cakes with no problem at all. Is your filling very soft and did you use a thick layer of it? If not, I don't think you'll have a problem. Let us know!

Karsn Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:07pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Both the bow and the coffee cup are great ideas! Since the coffee cup is filled with cake, I don't think it would be too heavy, but if after making it, it feels heavy to you, you could wait until just before you serve it to put it on the cake. If it's just a little too heavy, it won't weigh your cake down right away, and you can serve it and cut it before any damage gets done. I've put some pretty heavy decorations on the tops of cakes with no problem at all. Is your filling very soft and did you use a thick layer of it? If not, I don't think you'll have a problem. Let us know!




The coffee cup is done and it IS a heavy deco. But my cake is also quite firm now and the filling is stiff.
I would really like a decoration that could just stay on the top all of the time. So i might just make the cup an extra "on the side" thing. I saw a really great tutorial on how to make a fondant angel. I have some mmf left so will make on of those and a bow.

Let's see how it goes.

Btw, my round cake is frosted now, is it going to be okay if i wait 5-6 hours
before covering it with the fondant? Or even wait until tomorrow morning?

carmijok Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:30pm
post #21 of 30

If you are worried about the teacup sinking the cake, just run a dowel rod through the center of your cake, cut a large fondant (or gum paste--my preference), circle or flower and let it dry hard and set that in the center then put your teacup on top of that. The dowel will keep it from sinking and your base will give more stability to your teacup...plus it can add to the effect..like a saucer!

Marianna46 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:37pm
post #22 of 30

Way to go, carmijok! We'll get that coffee cup on top of the cake yet! I'm obviously rooting for you to have the cake you want, Karsn. After all, that's what it's all about, isn't it? What does a cake artist do but dream up a design and do whatever it takes to see it realized? I'm totally enjoying this thread! Can't wait to see your cake!

Karsn Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #23 of 30

Thanks for the brilliant tip carmijok!
Well don't have too high expectations about my cake. I have never done this before and a lot of stuff can still go wrong! Bet i'll be embaressed showing it when it's finished.
I've been watching galleries of cakes for a while but just recently started studying how to make the these cakes.. thought it looked so FUN and all kinds of good things. So while i definitely will but passion into my cake i can't garantee the look icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:43pm
post #24 of 30

Gotta get your feet wet sometime. You learn by doing.

Karsn Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:04pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Gotta get your feet wet sometime. You learn by doing.




Yep icon_smile.gif
Already learned a bunch of things in this process!

Karsn Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:20pm
post #26 of 30

The cake is done icon_smile.gif

You can see a picture here:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1968002

Karsn Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:48am
post #27 of 30

Btw I really really like your blog for newbies Cabecakes icon_smile.gif
It's great!

And thanks all of you, thanks for helping me with this.

Marianna46 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:58am
post #28 of 30

Karsn, what a lovely cake! You're on your way to being a terrific decorator!

Karsn Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:42pm
post #29 of 30

Thank you Marianna icon_smile.gif
I did get the teacup/coffecup done. But it was served on the side with the cake.

Marianna46 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #30 of 30

And where is the picture of that? I'd love to see it, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%