Topsy Turvey Cake

Decorating By kim9601 Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 6:12pm by Marianna46

kim9601 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 2

Okay this is a 2 parter...
I am trying my first topsy turvey cake this weekend... Does anyone have any expert tips, I have watched a few tutorials, however, I would love to hear any specific tips or lessons learned.
Also, the cake is for 70 people, would a 2 tier 10" and a 6" be enough?

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 2

According to my cutting guide, a 6" round gives you 10 servings and a 10" round gives you 42, so the size cake you want to make wouldn't be enough for 70 servings. And of course, when you carve a topsy-turvy to make it fit together, you lose several servings, so I'd make sure my basic rounds were enough to feed more than 70 (if you're charging, by the way, you charge for the number of servings you actually have to make before you cut the cake down to shape). My only advice about the cake itself is that you need to make sure your top edges are really crisp (nicely squared off) for the cake to look any good. If they're rounded, it just looks like the topsy-turvy part was accidental, more or less the way mine usually look, lol. Also, it does a lot for the look of the cake if the bottom diameter of each tier is just a little smaller than the top one, so you have to carve it in a little bit to get that look, too. The best thing about topsy-turvies is that you can have a great time with them - let your imagination go wild, and best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%