What Kind Of Cake Board Should I Use?

Decorating By Alwayzmakincake Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm by cowie

Alwayzmakincake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:01am
post #1 of 7

Hello there,

I'm making my first 4-tier wedding cake next month. It will be covered in fondant. I'm using the SPS system for the first time too.

My question is, what kind of board do I use? Should I have a round piece of wood cut? I was thinking a cake drum would not be sturdy enough. I have visions of it breaking. icon_eek.gif

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Michele

6 replies
cowie Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 7

I would think you would be okay using a 1/2" drum board as your base. Are you going to assemble on site?

beenie51 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 7

If assemling on site a 1/2 cake board would be strong enough. If all the tiers are stacked and you are delivering that way then I would do something a little sturdier.
The blue wedding cake in my pictures was stacked 4 tier and I used a masonite cake round but then I glued a 1/2 inch pressed wood smaller board to the masonite board for added strength.

Kellbella Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 7

I would use masonite for a cake that size. Plywood works also.

mindy1204 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 7

I use MDF for anything over 1 tier. I buy the board that is already 10 inches wide and have Home Depot cut it in 10 inch sections. I use this covered for all cakes with an 8 inch bottom and do the same with a 12inch board for larger. The board costs $6-7 and I get 4 separate boards. Then there were no worries om stability and I cover match the cake.

mindy1204 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 7

I use MDF for anything over 1 tier. I buy the board that is already 10 inches wide and have Home Depot cut it in 10 inch sections. I use this covered for all cakes with an 8 inch bottom and do the same with a 12inch board for larger. The board costs $6-7 and I get 4 separate boards. Then there were no worries om stability and I cover match the cake.

cowie Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 7

I have personally never used wood for a cake board and never had an issue. Although for a 4 tier I would not travel with it stacked. I would partially assembly on site. But I wouldn't travel with it stacked either on a wooden board, it would be too high.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%