Bake And Freeze Cake - How Far In Advance Is Ok

Decorating By schustc Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 12:03am by cakeandpartygirl

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #1 of 8

I am going to be decorating my cake next weekend (not this, but the following weekend).

I work full time (I am sure I am not the only one), and was wondering if I could bake the cakes (about 6-icon_cool.gif for my tiers this weekend, and freeze them to use next weekend.

I am thinking it would be fine, but I don't want to be up until the wee hours of the morning next friday night baking to freeze them for decorating saturday.

Opinions?

Thank you!

Tina

7 replies
momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:11am
post #2 of 8

You can easily bake now and freeze for then. I often bake a week ahead of time and freeze. Have baked up to 1 month ahead of time before and had no problems freezing. Just wrap real good in plastic wrap and foil.

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:13am
post #3 of 8

I have baked and frozen cakes 2 weeks in advance. I have heard of others freezing for even longer. Just make sure you wrap them well and keep them wrapped while they thaw.

cake_whisperer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_whisperer Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:18am
post #4 of 8

Freezing the cakes (double wrapped in plastic wrap of course) actually seals in moisture...I've baked and frozen cake up to a month in advance and the texture was still very moist icon_smile.gif

TiffyB73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffyB73 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 8

Do you freeze them before OR after you fill and stack them?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

lakish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakish Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 8

how do you thaw them and for how long?( i have never frozen a cake before) icon_sad.gif

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 8

yes all good questions - i though you were supposed to freeze before doing a stacked cake to keep it firm as you added the layers - i.e., i thought it would be a good idea, then let it thaw once you had it placed. if we thaw completely before hand, how far in advance - if the party is on sunday, and we are decorating the cake saturday - should I lay them on the counter friday morning so they thaw by friday night? - or should i take them out saturday morning and assemble the cake while they are still frozen? lots of questions i know. sheesh it's not like i haven't made a cake before, but i've never frozen them before frosting them..

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:03am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffyB73

Do you freeze them before OR after you fill and stack them?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

I would freee them before you fill and stack but it would depend on what type of filling you are using. I would at most put 2 layers together but I wouldn't stack any tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%