Butter Cream

Lounge By graciesj Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 11:22pm by graciesj

graciesj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:49am
post #1 of 27

How does butter cream turn brown? What am I not doing? Or doing for that matter?

26 replies
cakesrock Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:50am
post #2 of 27

I cannot understand your question? Are you trying to get it to turn brown or not?

Coral3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:53am
post #3 of 27

What sort of buttercream are you having trouble with? Sometimes when I make IMBC the sugar syrup gets too hot and caramelises, turning brown, so I throw it out and start again.

graciesj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 27

No "cakesrock" I'm not trying to make it turn brown. I'm talking about good old fashion american butter cream Edna's way. And for reason after two days it turns brown. This has happened for two weeks in a row now. I do use cornstarch for cutting the sweetness and never had this problem before, just wondering if this could be the problem? Or maybe could I be storing the shortening in too warm of a place? I'm confusedicon_sad.gif

graciesj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 27

Now I also heard that using a white icing base instead of the meringue may help. anyone???????

Dayti Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 27

Does it smell funny too? I just wonder if your cornstarch is starting to ferment, or something?

graciesj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 27

No, It doesn't smell funny at all! I'm losticon_sad.gifI know that the meringue helps with crusting and that the white icing base helps with the colour and the fluffiness of the butter cream. am I correct? I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this dis-colouring business.

graciesj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 27

I'm trying very hard not to get discouraged today. I asked about the "white icing base" atr my local cake store and they looked at me like i'm nuts and said they make their own. How in the world do u make your own? Then she tells me that there's no reason or no way she'll use the meringue due to customers allergies with milk and such. Now I'm really confused. Can anyone please tell me the way it isicon_smile.gif

VickeyC Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 27

I use Ednas recipe, but have never put cornstarch in it. I have never had it to turn brown either. Not sure that the cornstarch is the problem, but that would be my guess.

travmand Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 27

Ive had bottles of clear vanilla turn brown if I don't use them quick enough??

VickeyC Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 27

Hmmmmm... I've never had that happen, but then again, it never last that long in my cake shop. Good to know tho.

graciesj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 27

thank-you ladiesicon_smile.gif So no-one uses meringue either? Or has anyone made their whiting base? My clear vanilla bottle lasts about 1 month or so. Not long either. So, I'm still lost.

VickeyC Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 27

I do use meringue powder in mine. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say whiting base. What is that?

Dayti Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 27

I'm not sure what you mean about the white base either, sorry!
I just make mine with butter, powdered sugar and milk. Add flavourings/cocoa depending on what flavour I need. I don't use cornstarch or meringue powder at all.

cakesnglass Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #15 of 27

I have never added cornstarch to my buttercream but I have tried the white icing base and meringue powder. White icing base does make the icing crust and it's a bit fluffier, honestly I won't buy it again I get the same results with some powdered dream whip and it's cheaper. The meringue powder Wilton brand that i've used in the past always seemed to turn my buttercream a slight off white shade but I also like to add some butter with my shortening. I now use hi-ratio shortening and salted butter (3-1 ratio) with some dream whip,flavoring and warm coffee creamer. Pure white crusting buttercream not to sweet and smooths out great. good luck.. p.s.if your leaving your buttercream out in a warm room it may be causing the problem.

graciesj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #16 of 27

Okay I'll look that up for you ladiesicon_smile.gif

graciesj Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 27

Okay, so I'm not lost at this whiting base stuff. I'm curious to know "cakesnglass" how much of the dream whip would you use to one batch of butter cream? My local cake supply store sells wilton products but NEVER OR REFUSES to use their products. Yes I do leave my BC in a 70-73 degree home. could that be it? I'm just lost because I'm trying to figure this out. I cannot stand it when I come face to face at a cross road and don't know which way to turnicon_sad.gif

VickeyC Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:01am
post #18 of 27

OK So I just googled and binged whiting base for buttercream, and the only thing it gave me was recipes for white bc, and it brought me right back to this thread. Still not sure what it is. Can you share the recipe that you are using? Maybe that will shed a light for me to understand what it is that you are referring to.

Cealy Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:02am
post #19 of 27

I have no idea why but have you tried adding cream of tartar to your merange before adding the butter and icing sugar? It tends to keep things white and bright, Ive noticed when I don't use it mine tends to 'cream' in colour.

Do you use merange powder or actual egg whites? Either way, I wouldn't leave merange out if it isn't cooked-you or your clients don't want salmonella poisoning. I put mine, I use fresh egg whites, in an air tight container with a very damp paper towel over the surface of the icing in the fridge. So long as the towel stays damp it doesn't crust.

Sorry I couldn't be much help...
C

graciesj Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:28am
post #20 of 27

Hey all and any advice or experiences are helpful hereicon_smile.gif
I use 1 cup shortening(u can use 1/2 butter-1/2 shortening)
1 lb ps
1 table spoon of meringue powder
2-3 tsblp water.
plus I add 1tsp of cornstarch to it to cut the sweetness.

Narie Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:05am
post #21 of 27

I have never heard of adding cornstarch to reduce sweetness, salt yes- cornstarch no. However, I seriously doubt that it is causing the browning. The recipe you use is a standard; and you should be able to store it in the pantry without problem for weeks.

You must have a "kitchen trickster" who thinks brown is the proper color for frosting. icon_smile.gif

In all honesty I don't have a clue. Something in me is is saying if you don't have trickster, then something is contaminated. Toss all your current ingredients, scrub all equipment very well- wait a few weeks if you can. and start over from scratch.

cakesnglass Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:09am
post #22 of 27

To funny just reading Alton Browns book and he makes mention that shortening can turn brown when starting to go rancid. I think Narie is right start with fresh ingredients. As for Dream Whip I make 3lbs.powdered at a time and add about 1/2 the pk. and I add salt to the warmed creamer so it melts and helps with sweetness.

graciesj Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:02pm
post #23 of 27

Thank-you ladies. I watched a video on u-tube last night about adding dream whip and warmed creamer and her BC looked amazing. Mine right now is Awesome. I really don't want to change it. But I will do what you lovely ladies are saying and hopefully this problem would turn out to be glitch somewhere. I do have one question "cakesnglass" what type of creamer r u speaking of here? thank-you so much loadsicon_smile.gifgsj

cakesnglass Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:23pm
post #24 of 27

I use coffee-mate powdered creamer. 1cup very hot water to 1cup powdered creamer and about 1/2 tsp of salt mix well. I add my liquid to my shortening/butter mix well and then start adding p.sugar good luck

graciesj Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:39pm
post #25 of 27

I thank-you very muchicon_smile.gif I'm just finally at a good place with my cakes and don't want to get discouraged. I appreciate it so muchicon_smile.gifgsj

cabecakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:36am
post #26 of 27

I use Edna's recipe as well, and I have never had a problem with it. I use the meringue powder, but I don't use the cornstarch. Maybe if you omitted the cornstarch and dissolved a pinch of salt in you liquid before you add it, it would cut the sweetness. I would venture to say that maybe the cornstarch is fermenting the powdered egg or something. I think you said that you use clear vanilla, so that shouldn't be the problem. Not sure. The first thing I would do is omit the cornstarch. How are you storing it. If you are storing it in a metal bowl (aluminum or something with iron in it), maybe that is the issue.

graciesj Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:22pm
post #27 of 27

Hi cabecakes, you know something, adding cornstarch to the recipe actually does cut the sweetness down. I try to stay away from using salt and don't like the taste of lemon either. What I'm thinking of doing is asking Edna herself what she advises. I know in her video she mentions that icing should be sweet, so I doubt she cuts hers at all, but it wouldn't hurt asking the beautiful pro herself.
No I'm not storing in a medal container. I've read in here somewhere that cornstarch should be stored in an air tight container away from sun light. So that may be the issue. Time to throw that out and replace it with a new one.
I made 1 batch yesterday for my domm and it turned out great. So we'll c what happens. grazie moltoicon_smile.gifgsj

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%