Buttercream Border...help!

Decorating By walterak Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 3:08pm by walterak

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 7

I have never done a buttercream border. The cake calls for just little beads along the base of the bottom and top tiers. This cake is for April 29...In St.Louis. Not usually TOO hot at that time. Is buttercream ok? It is outdoors. I just don't want it to melt or anything. I have NEVER worked with royal icing. I will have to pipe on location too.

Thanks in advance, you all are always such great help!

6 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #2 of 7

You will be fine if you use a buttercream like Indydebi's. Hers will hold up to high humidity in the deep south.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:00am
post #3 of 7

I'm not the expert, but it's been my experience that for outdoors or a warm area, it's best to go with an all shortening and no butter buttercream. I made the mistake of making my bttercream with butter last summer for my Wilton class and it was too warm in the classroom and it just melted. Borders shouldn't be a problem at all. Good luck!

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:12am
post #4 of 7

I agree with VaBelle, just make sure it has more shortening then butter, if can have some butter or use butter flavored shortening so it still tastes okay but doesn't melt as much/quickly as an all butter buttercream. Then again, I live in WA (the state) so we don't really have to worry about heat over here. icon_wink.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:15am
post #5 of 7

check out sharon zambitos youtube video on her buttercream with high ratio shortening. Lots of decorators on this site love, love. love. it. hth

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:49am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterak

This cake is for April 29...In St.Louis. Not usually TOO hot at that time. Is buttercream ok? It is outdoors. I just don't want it to melt or anything.

The chance for frost is up until April 15th for the area, definitely not too hot. Shortening-based buttercream starts to breakdown around 85 degrees... it won't melt in April, but you don't want it in the sun in the middle of August!

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

I use Edna's buttercream recipe..found that to be my favorite and I use High Ratio Shortening. I don't believe this will be in the sun, but I will be sure to tell them to make sure its shade. It shouldn't be 85 out that day...and its an evening wedding so its not like mid-day heat! Thanks so much ladies!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%