Are There Any Cc Decorators In The Hampton Roads Area (Va)

Decorating By mommie917 Updated 4 Jul 2014 , 1:30am by Gateaux Bakery

mommie917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommie917 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:51am
post #1 of 17

Just wondering if there are any cake decorators that visit this site and live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia? If so, do you know of any good decorating classes around here? I know that Michaels, Wine and Cake Hobbies, and Party cakes and Things offers them but they seem to be on a basic skill level. I'm looking for something more advanced. Thank you in advance for reading.

16 replies
kc03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kc03 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 17

Im in Newport News. There is a cake shop off Warwick Blvd. called Creative Touch. They offer classes all the time. The girl that teaches them is great. She always gives direction outside of the standard Wilton. But what do you mean what by more advanced?
15439 Warwick Blvd # D
Newport News, VA 23608-1577
(757) 886-9600

Marinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marinette Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 17
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 17

I live in Va Beach and would love to know too! I would love to learn pastry work on the Vincent Pilon level but that probably requires Le Cordon Bleu...

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 17

I'm in Suffolk! I haven't taken any classes yet, but I'd love to take some on sugar flowers. Most of the ones I have seen require other courses first. Any recommendations?

ashleyb4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyb4 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 17

I'm in Virginia Beach, too. I second the recommendation for The Creative Touch off Warwick. I've never taken the classes, but I've heard really good things.

sugarmomma: Off topic, but we are birthday twins!

mommie917 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:31am
post #7 of 17

Thanks for all of the info. I'm just looking for classes that are more than just basic fondant work. I'd like a class that's geared toward making gumpaste flowers and using different tricks and techniques. I'm not really sure how to explain it.

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #8 of 17

I'm in Va Beach and I've never taken classes but the ladies at Party Cakes N' Things are really friendly. I've been into Wine and Cake Hobbies a few times, but I always feel like I'm walking into my grandma's attic when I go there. Kinda creeps me out.

mommie917 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:08am
post #9 of 17

mahal50881- I completely agree with you about Wine and Cake Hobbies...and they always look at you like you're an idiot if you ask a question too. I just don't like the vibe there.

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:09am
post #10 of 17

Are any of you planning on going to the NOVA cake show?

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:32am
post #11 of 17

Steven Ciccone is a great sugar artist and works at Wine and Cake. If you aren't going to the NCACS show, try going to the Masters cake gig that week at the Sheraton. There is also going to be a convention for ICES in North Carolina in August. Most decorators here that do special work went out of town to take classes or learned from books, dvds, and this site.

JustBakedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedCakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:34am
post #12 of 17

I live in Norfolk and have been wanting to take more advanced courses too. Wine and Cake does offer other courses away from the Wilton Method but they are really expensive. I think one of them was like $750!! Wine and Cake looks really old school inside but thats because it is. It's been there for many many yeras. I go there every week for my supplies. Once you go there enough it doesn't seem so "granny" anymore icon_smile.gif I love that place!! They always have whatever I need. But like I said, they do offer other courses. I'm sure if you call them or email them they will give you info! HTH!

PistachioCranberry Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:38am
post #13 of 17

Not sure what all you're looking to do, but Ginger of http://theicingonthecake-ginger.blogspot.com/ also teaches Wilton classes, but she teaches more than the basics. You can check her out and see what other classes she's willing to teach.

She used to come on this site alot.

mommie917 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:06am
post #14 of 17

mahal50881- I completely agree with you about Wine and Cake Hobbies...and they always look at you like you're an idiot if you ask a question too. I just don't like the vibe there.

PistachioCranberry Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBakedCakes

I live in Norfolk and have been wanting to take more advanced courses too. Wine and Cake does offer other courses away from the Wilton Method but they are really expensive. I think one of them was like $750!! Wine and Cake looks really old school inside but thats because it is. It's been there for many many yeras. I go there every week for my supplies. Once you go there enough it doesn't seem so "granny" anymore icon_smile.gif I love that place!! They always have whatever I need. But like I said, they do offer other courses. I'm sure if you call them or email them they will give you info! HTH!

I go in there weekly also. They are always helpful when I go in. No, they aren't a huge smiling group of people, but neither am I. They are very knowledgeable there because they have decorated cakes for years and usually will find someone who knows the answer if one of them doesn't.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #16 of 17

Hi everyone, Yes, I teach advanced cake classes in Virginia Beach. I am teaching wilton classes in addition to the 3D fun cakes! Please check out my web site and email me if you would like my calendar of classes coming up. I have a shoe box and high heel shoe that I am teaching along with a 3D subway sub, we will be airbrushing our buns!! icon_smile.gif www.theicingonthecake-ginger.com I am also teaching these advanced classes at Party Cakes -n- Things located in Kempsville, the wine crate is coming up in July.

ginger soave
the icing on the cake

Gateaux Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gateaux Bakery Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 1:30am
post #17 of 17

Good evening, 

I am an advanced cake decorator and I own a French Patisserie. 

I have seriously considered offering cake decorating in my store. We do sugar, chocolate, fondant and gum paste designs. 

We have decorators that have graduated from Johnson & Wales, and Chicago Institute of French Pastry. I need feedback from you guys.

How many people would be interested in our potential class in virginia beach?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%