Tasting - Odd Request?? Help!

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 1:32am by AmysCakesNCandies

jewels710 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:43am
post #1 of 4

I have, not one, but two couples who because of very odd schedules have asked me if I would "drop off" the samples for their tastings.

First let me say, I know both of these couples fairly well and both are already signed with me. I do not really find issue with doing this (it will be convenient for me, ultimately).

The tastings will most likely be prepared Sunday, Dropped off Monday am for their late night tastings.
I am having trouble organizing this in my head...
Does this sound like an alright idea ?

FOR EXAMPLE...Based on one couples selections, I would bake two six inch, single layers...one white, one choc, each frosted with basic vanilla BC (no fondant on their order). Then send along small containers with various fillings, ganache and perhaps some corresponding BC Flavors.
For the Second couple, they have 3 cakes (2 occasions) on order with me, so I really want to give them more of a selection.
I was thinking three or four 4" cakes, single layer, basic vanilla BC, same with the fillings etc.
Does this sound like it would work?
Should I torte and fill with the Vanilla BC as well (Still only 2" high total) or just leave as one layer?
I should send the cakes frosted, right?

I don't know why I am making this more difficult than it needs be.
Anyone have a better idea?
HELP! and Thanks!

3 replies
elliespartycake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:58am
post #2 of 4

I never tort, fill or frost my tasting cake. In a small bakery box I place small wedges of cake (2 or three flavors) and little containers of several fillings, and frostings. If you are worried about the cake not being fresh, then wrap each piece in plastic wrap before placing in the box. This way they can mix and match the samples.
A tasting is not meant to give them every flavor you can bake, but a couple of the flavors that they have requested or that you think are the best. Since they've already signed with you, they probably have a couple of flavors in mind.
Don't go over board, keep it a sampling not a free dessert order.

EdieP Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:01am
post #3 of 4

when I do a cake tasting, I make a 6in cake with the fillings already in them and cover in butter cream. I give them a fondant flower so they have an idea of what it tastes like..because I only do cakes covered in fondant..so much easier to manage

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:32am
post #4 of 4

I use cupcakes, if they want to try a filling I remove the wrapper split it & fill it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%